Time to move in?

Not sure if this is the correct forum - sorry if not.  I got some useful advice from you guys way back when we were installing a new borehole.  We are now about three weeks away from moving into our new build home and I need help with the red tape.  Our builder says we can just move in whenever we want, once the Building Warrant has been signed off.  He is responsible for that.  Does this mean that Planning can't stop us moving in, even if there are still a couple of outstanding issues from the plans that were passed?  For example, we will have a new water supply, which will be filtered etc but test results for the water will probably not be back for several weeks.  We don't want to wait for the results until we move in and the builder says we don't have to.  Just use bottled water for drinking until we know the water coming out of the tap is okay to drink.  The landscaping won't be fully completed either, although we plan to spend the winter getting most of it done.  Etc, etc.  Can Planning stop us from moving in or should we just do as the builder says and not tell them!  But then, surely we have to let them know we are moving in?  Do they need to issue a Completion Certificate or a Habitation Certificate, or both, before we move in or can we move in and then ask for whatever Certs are needed?  Sorry for all the questions but I am rather confused about everything but really don't want to delay the move any longer.  It's costing too much!

Your builder is correct. In England, as long as the builder is happy it is safe, building control can’t really stop you moving in either. Though they can send a notice that starts a time period (I think 4 months) by which you have to rectify breaches and get your certificate issued, moving in Matt prompt them to do that. Building warrant is not an English term, so I assume you are elsewhere.

Edited by Adsibob

Obviously you are in Scotland.

Officially you should not move in until you have a certificate of temporary habitation from building control.  It is BC not planning that might stop you.

The house has to be safe and habitable so it needs potable water, a working sewage system or connection to mains sewer, wind and water tight, working heating, basically safe and a functioning kitchen and bathroom. 

P.S your location stated would help ensure we all have the facts.  There are differences between the different parts of the UK

The council will want to know as they will want to collect council tax from you (if they are not already) but that is yet another department, neither planning nor building control.

Yes, I am in Scotland so I'm not sure if the message from Adsibob applies, although I am grateful for the reply.  We are not on mains water or sewage - we have a septic tank.  Our water supply is from a new borehole, with filtration at the wellhead as well as UV and other filters at the house.  Apart from the results (awaited) from the testing of the water, everything else is completely finished including heating.  Our builder will be applying for the completion certificate online.  He says we can move in before the water test results are in, as these can take months (literally) in this area (Argyll and Bute).  He thinks the water will be fine, as it is getting all the right treatment but said we could drink bottled until we get the test results.  This is the only thing that had me worried but we can't afford to wait months for the results before moving in.  We have already been in touch with the DAB assessor for council tax.  So, I guess there is nothing to stop us moving in?  Hoorah!

Just be sensible and polite to the council and they will be the same to you. I would send an email to bc saying what you have said here about just waiting for results, drinking bottled water etc. That puts it on the record that you are not being sneaky.

They won't throw you out. 

We moved in months before we even had building control round for an inspection. We registered for council tax and had wheelie bins as well.

If you ask BC they will tell you to get a temp habitation certificate. 

As long as you're not moving in with anything obviously dangerous you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...

Hi - me again.  We have moved into the house and it is lovely.  Everything is fine, EXCEPT ... we have hydrogen sulphide gas in the private water supply.  Really disgusting smell of rotten eggs, particularly when we take a shower, although opening any taps, or flushing the toilet, produces this foul smell.  The company that drilled the borehole, have also installed a filtration system at the wellhead for manganese and iron and water softening salt.  There is also a turbidity filter.  We have a filtration system at the house that includes two 5 micron filters and UV.  My understanding is that hydrogen sulphide is common in sandstone and shale (tick) and where there are high levels of manganese and iron (tick), as well as hard water.  According to the borehole company, the smell "is just something that happens".  I have done my own research and it seems it might be possible to get rid of the smell using carbon filters?  I would really appreciate any advice.  I don't think the water is dangerous, although we are still drinking bottled.  I really don't want to have to just live with it.  It is giving me headaches and making my eyes water - and my tongue is tingling (bizarre).  Help!