Any recommendations for a videocamera for site?

So waiting for date for wires to be disconnected and temp consumer unit to go up. Considering mounting a videocam beside it on back wall on a pole. I appreciate too I have to get builder to sign agreement it will be recorded/filmed (is there particular wording?) Any recommendations for a camera? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 05/11/2022 at 17:17, Omnibuswoman said:

I should add that I am very happy with it so far. Occasionally I can’t get the feed to load as the mobile signal there comes and goes, but largely it is very easy to use and reliable. 

On 09/12/2022 at 23:28, CalvinHobbes said:

Thank you, just got the reolink. Waiting for a sim. 

What sim card did you use for these cameras?

(Like how much data, how much cost, contract or PAYG)

10 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I use a vodaphone smart sim, £4 a month. I’m not sure that it has a data limit. If you look on vodaphone’s website you should find it. They don’t work in ordinary mobile devices and are especially for this kind of tech. 

I’ve got one of these camera - still going strong 4 years later - luckily it came with one of these sins so I’ve never had to pay for the data !

great cameras you anyone need something like this 

• Like 1

On 06/11/2023 at 22:13, Omnibuswoman said:

I use a vodaphone smart sim, £4 a month

The Vodafone smart sim (I think it was called the V-SIM) is now discontinued.  At least I couldnt find it for sale anywhere.  I think its probably discontinued because it was such a good deal they weren't making any profit from it.

The best deal I could find was an O2 mobile data only (no calls or texts) pre-paid, at £50 for 120GB data for the year.  Which is pretty good I think.  And O2 have a mast in town and the best 4G signal at the site.

The reolink camera is working remarkeably well, I would definitely recommend it.  Prices on the Reolink site are better than Amazon.  There seems to be a new 20% off deal running each week.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2023 at 10:22, Canski said:

I think the motion sensor has given up the ghost on my Reolink though.

I had a problem with one of mine for a while. In the end, I stuck it in the airing cupboard for 24 hours to dry it out (in case of water ingress) and it started working perfectly again afterwards. Alternatively, maybe try adjusting the movement detections sensitivity in the settings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I had a problem with one of mine for a while. In the end, I stuck it in the airing cupboard for 24 hours to dry it out (in case of water ingress) and it started working perfectly again afterwards. Alternatively, maybe try adjusting the movement detections sensitivity in the settings.

Mine is 30ft up in the air at the moment on the top of the scaffolding. I will dry it out when the scaffold comes down at the end of the month before repositioning it to watch the front of the site.

• Like 1

Another vote for the reolink.

A client had one on his project and it was a great piece of kit. I've started my own project now and will buy a reolink myself. 

That £4p/m sim was a great deal pity its no longer available.

Still the O2 sim at £50 p/a ain't too bad I suppose

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2023 at 08:37, gc100 said:

I’ve got one of these camera - still going strong 4 years later - luckily it came with one of these sins so I’ve never had to pay for the data !

great cameras you anyone need something like this 

Just to add, I have the solar panel that is an option and the’ve never once regarded it in 4 years. Still going strong and tells me every time some comes to the gate.