Site Boundary & Security

Hi there, 

My first post is unfortunately age-old and has been covered on other posts, however, being in costa del Orkney makes it impossible to get reasonably priced hired fencing and logistically tricky to buy second-hand. We are expecting a long drawn-out build in stages given the current instability with the mortgage rates (the joys of planning a self-build as first-time buyers...) 

Does anyone have any experience using any alternative form of temporary boundary? After ploughing through the BS technical handbook and HSE guidance - it doesn't seem to give any guidance apart from a clear boundary with signage and the like. As far as I can see our site insurance also doesn't give specific definitions of what a site boundary should be. Sites seem to vary up here, all of the building firms obviously put up fencing, other sites seem to make do with the falling down dyke being a 'clear boundary', and some don't seem to bother! 

The site itself is within a small village there is already a low 1m timber fence around 2 edges. I am tempted by the idea of removing the fence and putting in new 2.4m (1.8m h) posts with temporary mesh (plastic or galv deer fencing stuff) with barrier tape and ample signage, then using a small number of bought heras panels for more moveable site access. Once the house is built we can then cross batten to form a 'wind allowing' more formal boundary  - if someone can talk me out of that idea that would be brilliant... 

Just wanted to also say thank you to everyone on the forum, the discussions have been invaluable to us so far! We have a fully serviced site and are planning a SIPs build on as much of a budget as possible...  (am I the only one that is finding it cheaper at the moment?). After a long drawn-out planning and BW debacle, we are aiming to get contractors in to do the underbuild this winter and then start on the frame in the Spring/summer. 

Best, 

J

Edited by JWHIT
  • Like 1

I would say that your requirements are much less than say an inner city site and as long as you clearly define the site and highlight dangers of entry and excavations etc. then you are pretty well covered

It really depends on the chance of intruders. 

If there are children, animals or confused people around, then you do need to keep them out.

If isolated and at the end of a drive, then not.

If there was an incident then you need to have taken reasonable measures, which does not necessarily mean plywood or heras fencing. So use that as your guide. 

As a contractor we seldom hired heras.  4 months rent = purchase price. Plus any damage gets charged. 

We bought it from other manufacturers, used it 3 times or more, or sold it "as seen".

If it’s going to be a long drawn out build 

You do need fencing Regardless of signage If someone wanders on and is injured Your liable 

If you don’t make reasonable effort 

Then site insurance isn’t for you either 

I would bite the bullet and go online and order in new 
You will be able to sell it on at the end of the job without taking a massive hit Once you have claimed the vat back 

Thanks for your replies, 

Yes definitely will be having some form of fencing especially as the plot is just off the road. Its just gauging what is 'reasonable effort' as if you want to get into a site, you can... 

3 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

use ebay/google. used its very cheap.

This is difficult when on a Scottish island! Would to grab some second-hand ones for £30 a pair!

Delivery costs for new panels is looking at £500 just to the nearest mainland port. Not getting any luck from any of the local building merchants.. Had a quote from a builder quoting for the foundations of 6K for heras & welfare, for only the period which the underbuild is being done - its a small site with a build footprint of 80 sqm so not huge!

16 hours ago, saveasteading said:

It should deter an innocent party. 

If I can get hold of Heras, I will go for that, I was just curious if folk that did have a boundary used any more accessible (for this use case) alternative options. 

Edited by JWHIT

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

cheaper than £10 a panel ! I know jocks are tight cut crikey!

That would be a good price. I don't need any but was so surprised that I searched, but £30 without feet is the best i have seen.   Obv not on orkney.

A cheap alternative for a longish length is whatever local fences look like. Post and 3 wires? Then put scaffolding mesh on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

A cheap alternative for a longish length is whatever local fences look like. Post and 3 wires? Then put scaffolding mesh on it.

That was kind of what I was thinking and it would save then redoing a boundary afterwards, just take the mesh off and replace with treated lengths..  who knows if that would count as reasonable effort though... 

£10 would be great, no the cheapest Heras I could find that would deliver are 45 each excluding feet, clips n braces + min £6-700 delivery to the site... 

Thanks for your help anyways! 

22 hours ago, JWHIT said:

reasonable effort though

Would it be clear to anyone passing that this was a barrier? Would it keep out a child or elderly person? 

I know it is said that intruders could sue if they climbed in and fell in a hole, but i haven't seen evidence. 

A construction site sign would emphasise too....they are off the shelf / on-line.