Radiators v Daikin Air Conditioning

Digger1

Aircon installer suggests i have a Diakin Stylish AC unit in each bedroom and says they are more efficient than traditional radiator central heating during the winter, with lower costs so dont require rads.

Plumber suggests the above is nonsense and should fit rads or risk being cold.

Whos is correct?  

https://www.daikin.co.uk/en_gb/product-group/air-to-air-heat-pumps/stylish.html

Sorry plumber is making assumptions and is wrong.

Modern Air to air heat pumps, or Aircon as it also known, is really efficient.

Here is a typical test report.  EER is the cooling efficiency and CoP the heating. An EER of 1 is one unit of electricity is equal to one unit of heat, same for CoP.  The higher the number the better.  You will see a CoP of 7 at +7 degs. 1kWh input would give you 7kWh out.

Eurovent-HP-MU2R15-UL0---MJ07PC-NSJ---MJ07PC-NSJ-1661239885-ba-9646a4f3.pdf

A normal boiler and radiators has a CoP of around 0.8 or less.

2 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Sorry plumber is making assumptions and is wrong.

Modern Air to air heat pumps, or Aircon as it also known, is really efficient.

Here is a typical test report.  EER is the cooling efficiency and CoP the heating. An EER of 1 is one unit of electricity is equal to one unit of heat, same for CoP.  The higher the number the better.  You will see a CoP of 7 at +7 degs. 1kWh input would give you 7kWh out.

Eurovent-HP-MU2R15-UL0---MJ07PC-NSJ---MJ07PC-NSJ-1661239885-ba-9646a4f3.pdf 135.78 kB · 0 downloads

A normal boiler and radiators has a CoP of around 0.8 or less.

Agree but don’t forget you need to factor in energy pricing so a CoP of of 7 on peak electricity is around 5.2p/kWh and gas is 11.5p/kWh so the 7 vs 0.8 has to be done at cost per kWh output to get the proper comparison.

But as @JohnMo said - plumber is talking tosh … 

If you are well insulated you will hardly use the radiators in the bedrooms 

We are considering not bothering with radiators in the bedroom As we haven’t used the tiny rads in our current build and we have been in three years 

1 hour ago, nod said:

If you are well insulated you will hardly use the radiators in the bedrooms 

We are considering not bothering with radiators in the bedroom As we haven’t used the tiny rads in our current build and we have been in three years 

Would you have switched on air con in those rooms if it was there? eg over the recent ( brief ) summer.

The only thing rads can do is heat, air con can both heat and cool.

@Digger1

FYI, the second I can take some bloody time off work I am going to ‘plumb’ my house for A2A in the 5 bedrooms and the landing, plus my shed ( office / man cave ) for sure. Rads will very likely be removed from those rooms as I can make much better use of the floor space then with the split units up high / over doors etc where that is already dead space. 

9 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Sorry plumber is making assumptions

I’d say more ill-informed and a bit long in the tooth ;) Prob saying exactly what I would have said 10 years ago.

The other inefficiency that you must factor in, is with gas / rads you;’d need to get the boiler lit / up to temp / heat up all the large bore pipework / and all of that needs adding in. Plus bedrooms will usually only need a whiff of heat, so if they’re calling independently the boiler will prob not spend much time fully condensing.

AC is a great place to send any excess PV to, after DHW is satisfied. 

• Like 1

I fitted 2 Daikin Emura units ( 1 in a dining room/1 in a study/spare bedroom) and 1 Stylish, unit in our extension a couple of years ago. The Emura unit in a spare bedroom is absolutely fine noise wise. The Emura units are the only heat source in those rooms and works great, only a gentle air flow comes through them and most of the time theyre only very slowly ticking over, you need to get close to feel and hear them.

49 minutes ago, pudding said:

I fitted 2 Daikin Emura units ( 1 in a dining room/1 in a study/spare bedroom) and 1 Stylish, unit in our extension a couple of years ago. The Emura unit in a spare bedroom is absolutely fine noise wise. The Emura units are the only heat source in those rooms and works great, only a gentle air flow comes through them and most of the time theyre only very slowly ticking over, you need to get close to feel and hear them.

Third gen. Emura are the ones I've gone for. They're large but can go very lazy. It's a bit like PC fans, the big ones tend to be quieter than the little'uns. This is in a 4m wide room to give an idea of scale:

IMG_20221012_095827525.thumb.jpg.9b2ed5c55ca0aeee078aab6fa260e4c2.jpg

• 2 months later...