American appliance

34 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Oven & warming drawer.  240/208v 60hz

Are they 240V or 208V (208 is Japan I believe)

60Hz will not be a problem for the heating element, but if it uses the mains frequency as a reference for the clock, then that will run 20% too slow making it useless.

If it's 208V that won't work off 240V. I had a water pump with a 208V motor. I managed to rig up an autotransformer to run it okay, but trying it on 240V direct  it got very hot and bothered very quickly.

Be aware that there may well be safety issues as well.  US 230V AC is 115V AC either side of earth, I believe, not the same as the UK system of 230V AC above earth; I think it's effectively a two phase 115V AC supply to the house, with the 115V circuits from one phase and the 230V circuits using both phases in series (it's a 180 deg two phase system, IIRC).  This has implications for the PE and the internal wiring and insulation within the appliance, so needs checking.  It may well be OK. but it may not.  I had a 230V oil cooled arc welder years ago, that was US made.  It didn't mind working on 50Hz, but it did need internally re-wiring to be OK on a UK 230V AC supply.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1