who enforces an old (1940s) restrictive covenant ?

Hi found a potential restrictive covenant from the 1940s restricting number of houses that can be built on my plot.

the original people in the covenant are all dead and the original property that the covenant was protecting has been sold off.

So who will enforce the Covenant?  Also  I Believe its possible to get insurance against such claims ?

Thanks

Rob.

How is it worded? Who is the beneficiary of the covenant? 

Covenants run with the land so it still applies and presumably anyone with an interest (like a neighbour) could highlight it. 

You can indemnify the land and it stays with the land but I thought this was you taking the indemnity out to protect the person buying the land/house. 

• Like 1

It wouldn't affect planning permission, only the legality of actually building what was granted. Complicated territory...  to be enforceable, there has to be a beneficiary, ie someone who owns land that would be adversely affected by breaking the covenant.  That could theoretically be a neighbour, if the covenant is designed to limit development in the area.  I'd speak to a solicitor before getting too far into the process.  (If you're in the Wisbech area, there's a solicitor with expert local knowledge in the town 😉)

Edited by Roundtuit
typo
  • Like 1

Covenants are notoriously hard to enforce especially if there’s no beneficiary If a neighbor decides to use a covenant to restrict you building 

They will need deep pockets 

You can apply to have the covenant removed 

• Like 1