What can you do to extend planning permission?

CalvinHobbes

Is the garage on a separate planning grant or same as one as the house?

If its on the same planning grant as a house already started I don't think you need to any work on the garage.

If its a separate planning grant then normally its recommended to get BCO approval and dig and fill foundations.

• Like 2

We had issues as to the placement of the garage Planners wanted it at the front we wanted it at the back BC suggested getting the house signed off then building the garage under permitted development afterwards 

17 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Wow, that would be brill, it's on the same planning grant. Still might do the foundations anyway to stop needing a digger again.  Thankyou Temp again!

Yes so once you have started development the planning grant is effectively extended indefinitely unless there is a planning condition requiring completion within x years.

Remember that there may be implications for your VAT reclaim. You are have to submit a claim within 3 months of completion. The HMRC definition of completion seems to change. Some people have moved in and taken years to get their BCO to sign it off as complete, then HMRC have tried to argue they were effectively complete years earlier when they moved in so their reclaim was too late.  Others will have better idea what you can get away with but I would think about buying all the materials for the garage so you can reclaim the VAT soon after the house is signed off.

• Like 1

I think in NI all works need to be completed within 12 years of the PP being granted. We're in the same situation, however, the planners only passed our application as the garage provides screening to the back of the house... So I'm not sure what they'll do to us if we don't build it in the 12 period! We're unlikely to build it, I think we'll stick some trees in to keep people happy