Large glazing option

MMcGill

Hey all - going round in circles a bit - about to start breaking ground on our self build, the aim is to get this as insulated as possible - triple glazed throughout. 

now the rear sliding doors on the ground  are simple enough and we’re aiming for Solarlux CeroIII but have also looked at Internorm - both sides are aiming to have two panels which is fine rather than as drawn..

the upper floors on the left is the master bedroom with a vaulted ceiling, the divide has been debated several times with differing views on necessity.

challenge is the upper floors again to carry on the two panels up on both sides but really need a good independent glazing engineers help - each company I’ve dealt with five slightly different challenges - weight and wind load being common, any suggestions on where to turn to get the best end result?

B01ED5C9-8BBD-4597-B6F8-914EC9777192.jpeg

Edited by MMcGill
Updated detail

Personally I like your three pane design. I would get a two pane version drawn up to see if it looks as good. I think it would look very odd having z different number of panes on each floor if that's what you are considering.

I think that design is crying out for all the glazing to be from the same company to get the consistent  look.

Edited by Temp

We had a similar debate about 2 or 3 panels. Went for triple with bifolds in the end. Two panels didn’t look right and we wanted bifolds anyway. @craig knows a bit about glazing systems!

By the way (and I know you didn’t ask), not sure about the cat slide roof, can’t it slope towards the back. This could look better and also reduce the amount of glazing.

Same here, double sliders with 5 panes above did not look right at all in the renderings, so went with 5 leaf bi-folds from solarlux. For supporting the units, we have a steel beam spanning anyway so no issue. Might be better to go to your SE to spec a beam at 1st floor that can take whatever glazing opting you go for.

Your biggest issue is weight, second is sight lines, 3rd system. Cero’s are 34mm and I would expect you’d be wanting to follow that through.

Weight, flex in beam and tolerances are the main issue. Your SE will have engineered things based on weights. However, the flex in beam (standard without weight and weight) needs to be understood. You’ll end up with doors that don’t slide if not taken into account. The Cero’s have many configuration options, so you should be able to keep the design as shown for sliding units.

The challenge then becomes how to deal with the 2nd and 3rd rows. These are likely to be coupled due to size and you then have the issue with wind load on couplings and sight lines. Not that fussed on the wind load, that’ll take care of itself. However.

It screams curtain walling in all honesty. And or further design and spandrel panels between floors. Which the steel can be designed to take the weights of the units above and you sit everything in front of the steels.

Example below.

44037401-2B08-4728-834E-0076202F4B7C.thumb.jpeg.b743c4d0d481c286c5dcbb417e847b7b.jpeg

Edited by craig

3 hours ago, craig said:

Your biggest issue is weight, second is sight lines, 3rd system. Cero’s are 34mm and I would expect you’d be wanting to follow that through.

Weight, flex in beam and tolerances are the main issue. Your SE will have engineered things based on weights. However, the flex in beam (standard without weight and weight) needs to be understood. You’ll end up with doors that don’t slide if not taken into account. The Cero’s have many configuration options, so you should be able to keep the design as shown for sliding units.

The challenge then becomes how to deal with the 2nd and 3rd rows. These are likely to be coupled due to size and you then have the issue with wind load on couplings and sight lines. Not that fussed on the wind load, that’ll take care of itself. However.

It screams curtain walling in all honesty. And or further design and spandrel panels between floors. Which the steel can be designed to take the weights of the units above and you sit everything in front of the steels.

Example below.

44037401-2B08-4728-834E-0076202F4B7C.thumb.jpeg.b743c4d0d481c286c5dcbb417e847b7b.jpeg

Craig - I think this is where we may well end up - allowing us to stay triple glazed throughout with the two sections on the left (three floor) and two on the right with then the 4 sections above. Thanks for the example - it looks good. But I'm still then stuck with the sight lines on the Cero II being 34mm and those above being much larger...

Who would you recommend to land the right design / spec / supplier? May have to pull away from Cero III as the sightline is 'too good' compared to what will appear above?

Where are you based? What's your budget like? With you looking at Internorm and Solarlux, it's a decent budget that you'll have allowed. What are your timescales? I'm presuming that you're willing to use either Aluminium, timber alu or a mixture of both?

1 hour ago, craig said:

Where are you based? What's your budget like? With you looking at Internorm and Solarlux, it's a decent budget that you'll have allowed. What are your timescales? I'm presuming that you're willing to use either Aluminium, timber alu or a mixture of both?

Based between York and Harrogate - building forever homes so with reasonable budget and yes - willing to look at all options, but ideally (I'm sure most say this), minimum sightlines, max glass... So was looking to two sections all through the three floors and that's the challenge I'm still facing...

And timelines - due to start foundations in the next few weeks with a 12-14month timeline in total.

Edited by MMcGill
update detail on timeline

6 hours ago, Bonner said:

We had a similar debate about 2 or 3 panels. Went for triple with bifolds in the end. Two panels didn’t look right and we wanted bifolds anyway. @craig knows a bit about glazing systems!

By the way (and I know you didn’t ask), not sure about the cat slide roof, can’t it slope towards the back. This could look better and also reduce the amount of glazing.

Hi - what you can't see is the internal of the cat slide roof is a big dining table / snug area going for double height (dining table) to single at snug - beyond this is the upstairs hallway which then has a view out over the dining table and through the large triangle of glass to the outside..