Hello from Cornwall

Charlie Barns

Hi. We're just about to start on a Barn Conversion in Cornwall of previously agricultural stone barns. It's taken a long time to get to this point with planning, building regs, mortgages etc but the ground workers have just started and now very conscious of all the decisions that need to be made.

The forum has been really helpful so far with finance and other matters so I think it's going to be really valuable to read experiences from others. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Barns said:

Hi. We're just about to start on a Barn Conversion in Cornwall of previously agricultural stone barns. It's taken a long time to get to this point with planning, building regs, mortgages etc but the ground workers have just started and now very conscious of all the decisions that need to be made.

The forum has been really helpful so far with finance and other matters so I think it's going to be really valuable to read experiences from others. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Welcome, always glad to help and loads of good advise here, we like photos and updates so keep those coming and the questions 👍

Yes as Joe says.. photos are the key.

That's you underway.. the build has started!

Thanks everyone.

On 04/10/2022 at 22:56, Susie said:

Welcome to the forum. I have been a member now for nearly a year and have found myself reading through posts most nights and learning so much. 
What part of Cornwall?

It's just outside of Truro so fairly central. Where about in North Cornwall are you? Any particular posts or topics you would recommend I read first. I'm more concerned we haven't made all the key decisions for the builder.

14 hours ago, Charlie Barns said:

Thanks everyone.

It's just outside of Truro so fairly central. Where about in North Cornwall are you? Any particular posts or topics you would recommend I read first. I'm more concerned we haven't made all the key decisions for the builder.

I’m just North of Bude close to border with Devon (and joe90 and GoneWest)
We haven’t got planning permission yet so can’t help with the key decisions for the builders.  

I live in a converted barn that was converted by the previous owner an architect who got most things right but could have done some things better. We have a light switch behind a door and another you have to reach round for and when you switch all the lights off in the evening you can’t switch them off as you walk in one direction you have to put one on then walk back and switch another off.   
I would do plenty of walk throughs to make sure sockets, switches and appliances are in the right place. Somethings can be changed later but can effect finishes eg plaster and decoration. 
Always ask questions on here, the forum members can answer most questions and we all learn by reading each other’s questions and answers. 
Most of all enjoy the conversion/build.