Tin or timber cladding...

Grian

Hope questions about small structures are welcome!

Potentially using this company's kit for a shepherd's hut for our Scottish coastal windswept high-rainfall location (will be having the chassis galvanised and lugs added to tie it down) and need to organise cladding. Any thoughts welcome, including on the kit and any adaptations that could be needed to ensure it is robust enough. I am hoping it is adequate as is. Builder will be doing the majority of the work and could make the entire frame, but we need some components brought in anyway and a kit will speed things along usefully in a mid-winter build.

It has been suggested that tin cladding will help make a stronger structure. I expect this is true, but is it overkill or actually worthwhile? If I use tin I will need to get the new plastisol or polyester coated wall-sheets powder-coated, or paint them myself, in order to correspond with colour specified on planning application. I shouldn't imagine paint will be keen to stick to a new smooth surface and I will be doing it in a dusty agricultural building so not thrilled at the prospect... anyone have experience of this, or know where best to source powder-coated sheets coloured to my specification?

If I don't go with tin (planners said they will approve timber also) then I need to find an affordable suitably robust timber alternative... (have siberian larch on our house but won't be using on hut).

Grateful for your thoughts.

Many thanks indeed.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Depends what you use it for but tin can be noisy in the rain. Full clad will be even more noisy

Thanks. I assume insulation must dampen noise... it is a really common cladding for huts for sleeping in... We have it on our roof and thankfully can't hear a thing! But that is a house with lots of insulation in ceiling and a big attic space above.

I very much doubt a tin skin will add any more strength than wood cladding correctly installed.  There are certainly way less fixings involved in a tin skin.

Who is making the claim, it will be stronger with a tin skin?

• Like 1

Are you expecting the cladding to provide the racking strength?  That frame as it stands has NO bracing whatsoever.  If just clad in say plasterboard inside and timber planking outside, it would fall over like a pack of cards in the first gale on an exposed site.

You need to think what are you going to cover the frame with to provide the racking strength, could be OSB or ply and could be on the inside or outside or both.  Then the cladding is just that, something to keep the rain out and plays no structural part.  Choose the cladding either on price or for the look you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grian said:

Thanks. I assume insulation must dampen noise... it is a really common cladding for huts for sleeping in... We have it on our roof and thankfully can't hear a thing! But that is a house with lots of insulation in ceiling and a big attic space above.

Yep in a house it’s fine but this is a caravan technically and it will only have say 70-100mm of insulation at best.

• Like 1

Thank you all for really useful input.

I think tin is promoted as providing a stronger structure because it is usually fixed to OSB/ply which is added on the outside of the frame. On the interior it will either be clad with straight edge wood planks (may shift with temp change but it is a rustic thing) or MDF v-groove sheets.

The norm for insulation looks like 75mm in floor and ceiling and 50mm in walls, therma... no, fleecetherm? Made from wool.

Corrugated metal would certainly add to the racking strength but I wouldn't say it's needed if you have a separate racking layer. 

I would do

18mm floorboards as internal wall finish. Much nicer than thinner t&g cladding. 

100mm Batt insulation between the studs. 

9mm osb racking. 

Tape all joints of OSB externally as air control layer. 

Breather membrane. 

75*22mm battens. 

timber cladding. 

• Like 1