Building a large balcony; where to start

New to this

Hello, first timer here, hoping to self build a 2 storey upside down house with a balcony along most of two sides of the building, plus a large 4m2 'platform' to one corner.  At the stage of architect design, hoping to sign off in the next three weeks on the high level design but anxious about the cost of my huge extravagance.  I've tried to work out who to open a conversation with to get some idea of the possible costs and complexities involved.  Do I 'just' need a local steel fabricator?  I'd like steel posts from ground to first floor level to support it, a steel 'bed' to set the floor into and glass panels all around ... and a stair case to the garden. South Somerset area, if anyone can recommend a contact?  Thanks v much

Get through planning first before worrying about the cost. Our 14m2 balcony is coming in at £17k. Steel frame, timber deck, pvc membrane, hidden drianage and paving on pedastals. 

It's actually been the most difficult item to cost and build. Need groundworks for the post foundations, steel manufacturer for the posts and beams. Sombody to assemble the steel and fix to the building. Joiner to do the deck. Roofing guy to do the waterproof coating. Brickies to do the parapet. Architectural glazing company to do the balustrading. It's bloody complicated and still not got half of those things sorted or costed.

Edited by Conor

I have just ordered glass balastrade, 26.5m long, that's is just under £9k that will give you a starter for ten.

Photo of our planning drawing. Uprights are basically steel at top and bottom, sandwiched between wooden upright.

Then lots of wood to build the structure.  

Screenshot_20220922-174723.thumb.jpg.949d947224a3fa14129ad2a112a95ff4.jpg

IMG_20220921_152131.jpg

Why?

Not in contact with soil, well ventilated, treated for external use.  Top of wood will be further treated.

Our 70s (sold in 2012) house had a wood balcony and 40 years later I had to repair a decking board.

Edited by JohnMo
More details

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I have just ordered glass balastrade, 26.5m long, that's is just under £9k that will give you a starter for ten.

Photo of our planning drawing. Uprights are basically steel at top and bottom, sandwiched between wooden upright.

Then lots of wood to build the structure.  

Screenshot_20220922-174723.thumb.jpg.949d947224a3fa14129ad2a112a95ff4.jpg

IMG_20220921_152131.jpg

That's a stilt village, not a balcony.

It is big, keeping me busy. Roof overhangs most of it.  Unfortunately as the sun moves west it still gets in during the summer.

Structural work just about finished.  Bitumen paint coating on top of the structural wood next week, if it's dry enough, then a big stack (210) of composite decking boards to install.

We have a "miserly" 4m x 1m balcony in steels with plastic anthracite cladding deck and bottom hung glass. Came from Diomet in Sheffield - who do many other sizes but maybe not to what you require. Ours cost around £5000 ex VAT excluding the labour to fit.

New build balcony.jpg

Edited by Happy Valley

15 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Our 70s (sold in 2012) house had a wood balcony and 40 years later I had to repair a decking board.

I have a more recent timber balcony on a property and I think it is around 20 years old.  I need to replace it as it is rotten.   I will use galv steel.

Most of the original Victorian external joinery on the building is in reasonable condition.  I think the quality and durability of softwood has declined considerably.