Combi dilemma!

DamonHD

I disagree.  It's a complex decision, and getting it wrong will cost lots more disruption and time and money and carbon than necessary.

Having people list the alternatives and pros/cons has already been helpful.

I *am* also talking to several possible installers in parallel.

I don't want to wait to find myself with a broken system once it's cold and there's no available equipment or installers, and/or I need planning permission that takes months (and more money).

Rgds

Damon

6 minutes ago, DamonHD said:

(We genuinely did have ice inside my bedroom windows until my dad did some DIY secondary glazing!)

Secondary glazed my double glazing last week. Improved the air leakage and reduced sound from outside.

Had to leave two windows that can be easily opened to allow fresh air in, and a quick escape in case of fire.

Shall post up more on a new thread when I have finished part two.

9 minutes ago, DamonHD said:

genuinely did have ice inside my bedroom windows

I had to put up with up to 11 others, going through puberty, in a small dormitory. 

People wonder why I live alone. 

On 09/09/2022 at 10:31, DamonHD said:

Our old gas combi may be on its way out.

OK, explain this properly, please, as it is the entire cause of this thread.

Adding an external expansion vessel is absolutely fine, done it to so many ‘awkward to repair’ combi’s I’ve lost count.

All you need to do is add a secondary CH circuit isolation valve, beyond the point you T in for it, so it cannot be isolated inadvertently with the boiler “lit and burning”. Regs for this are open to translation, and as a very well versed individual I am sure you could mitigate against a 3rd party shutting off the isolation valves ( provided by ( Baxi ) Potterton ) to sleep soundly at night? Maybe just round off the original fitting so it cannot be shut off, for eg.

FYI, I’ve fitted numerous Baxi and Potterton combis over the years and they’re damn simple and robust units. The Potterton is a budget Baxi, but still a decent boiler, and very easy ( and simple ) to work on.

”may be on it’s way out”……

Reasons why / for this statement please? Sounds like a storm in a teacup to me. ;) 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 1

Got a bicycle pump?

Drop the water out of a radiator; refill the expansion vessel precharge; then refill the system.

If the vessel were totally dead then as the system comes up to temperature the pressure would spike and it would pee out of the relief valve before dropping to zero.

The fact it doesn't do that immediately says there's still some charge left even if it is leaking out slowly.

If the leak is slow enough recharging it will keep it alive longer.

A more ghetto option, assuming bottom entry and exit, is to crack the bleed valve on a radiator and then drain down air air bubble in the top of the radiator. Repeat in other rooms preferring the ones that you don't use much / need much heat.

That'll keep the system running long enough to sell the house when it becomes an exercise for the next helpful soul that decided to bleed the radiators to fix. 

None of this gives you an excuse to bin the thing though. 😉

On the potterton there should be a jig under the boiler which lets you isolate the heating circuit, and then an integral service drain ( small one not like the type you fit a garden hose to ) to drip pressure off without losing all the inhibitor / primary water out. You may need to remove the cover to find the service drain, can’t remember exactly where that is sorry. 
MI’s will prob show these instructions, just need to know exactly which appliance it is. 

Even easier @Nickfromwales

Damon you can isolate the space heating there, drop some water out of the boiler service drain, and recharge the expansion vessel with a bicycle pump.

I'd fill it to a slightly lower level as your system pressure when cold (e.g. 0.7 bar for 1 bar cold and 1.3 bar hot) so that when cold the rubber inside is slightly to one side of centre, and when hot it's slightly to the other side of centre.

Take advice from an actual plumber though rather than the bodger perpetually recharging a slightly dog eared expansion vessel. 😉

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 16:57, markocosic said:

Chimpanzee in a branded van? That'll be a bad replacement then...

Don’t talk out of your arse Mark :D  

Plenty of good fitters, in varying methods of vehicular transport, will sort this quickly and easily. Even ones in sign-written vans!

@DamonHD

Save the growing drama and despair, and just fit a secondary EV.

Not really a situation that requires talk of planning permission :S  
Let’s not let this molehill become mountainous…..

1 - 2 hour job max, couple of £hundred max.

Done and dusted. Thank me with beer. 

Nothing wrong with sign writing of they're an independent. 🙂

I've yet to come across a British Gas or Pimlico man who quotes with integrity though. At best trying to fleece pensioners and Londoners respectively by condemning boilers that just need repairing in order to drum up work.

Does your experience differ?

@Nickfromwales

1 hour ago, markocosic said:

Nothing wrong with sign writing of they're an independent. 🙂

I've yet to come across a British Gas or Pimlico man who quotes with integrity though. At best trying to fleece pensioners and Londoners respectively by condemning boilers that just need repairing in order to drum up work.

Does your experience differ?

@Nickfromwales

I would say that given Nick has offered free advise on this forum for years would answer your question….