Joist Options

richo106

I am starting my renovation/extending/remodel project shortly where i will be adding another floor

I was planning on installing MVHR system throughout so was going to go the posi joist route

But I am toying with the idea of not installing MVHR now due to not probably getting the ACH/insulation levels where they need to be. But installing some form of MEV instead

Is it worth just installing standard joists now? Is there a big difference in cost?

I will need to run a couple of ducts (probably 125mm) through some joists, is there a way this can be done through a normal joist with support plates or something? Would only need to do 2/3 

Thanks in advance

Joist selection comes down to span, floor loading, bounce, sound transfer plus ease/practicality of installation of services etc.

assuming the span is pretty average then solid joists are the easiest and cheapest for a small job. Cutting out big holes can be done but then moving to I’s or pozi’s is easier.

I joists can be fabricated on site or local joiners shop pretty easily, just add a percentage over factory produced spec as tolerances and glue is often better and more controlled.

We used I joists on our previous build 

Main reason being was that they where a third cheaper than Posi

I regretted my decision as soon as I started first fix plumbing 

Ive used Posi this time 

image.jpg