GSHP for cooling UFH

CADjockey

Installed the two boreholes of 108m each, and have committed to UFH & GSHP system with MVHR for fresh air distribution. 
However, given this summer and the future that we are all being told is going to see more of that, I asked our system provider 
& fitter about reversing the system to cool the house, or such the warm out of the slab. I need an additional bit of kit as far as
I grasp it, but he tells us that it can put the heat back into the ground. The slightly astounding bit is that the heat doesn't dissipate
but hangs around to some degree until you switch to forward operation in the autumn and pull it back out of the ground again.

Anyone got any exsperience of running in reverse for cooling a GSHP system? A bit of a longshot maybe, but you guys are a font
of interesting information 🤣

I have often wondered how good pumping the heat back into the ground works as an intersessional store.

What usually happens is that moving ground water, which has percolated from a large, local, catchment area, moves past the borehole pipes and is the real source of the energy.

Having said that, you have to dump the energy from cooling somewhere, so may as well use the borehole pipes.

We started looking at this - although with ASHP, at the start of the build.  but never got any real answers..

But the research [not scientific 😀 ] was telling us some day to day facts for living with it., to be effective as a cooling, the floor would have to be considerably cooler than the air temp, so lets say if it was 15 degrees, you may need to wear slippers !.   Also cold air will not circulate as hot air does, so you will have cold ankles. The another consideration is potential condensation, which considering you would have nice shiny tiles could cause slipping issues.

6 minutes ago, Blooda said:

We started looking at this - although with ASHP, at the start of the build.  but never got any real answers..

But the research [not scientific 😀 ] was telling us some day to day facts for living with it., to be effective as a cooling, the floor would have to be considerably cooler than the air temp, so lets say if it was 15 degrees, you may need to wear slippers !.   Also cold air will not circulate as hot air does, so you will have cold ankles. The another consideration is potential condensation, which considering you would have nice shiny tiles could cause slipping issues.

We had our flow temp set to 13c on a couple hot days. Worked well, no condensation (except on the flow part of the manifold), knocked a good 4-5c off the internal temp, floor only felt cold if you lay on it :)

Edited by Conor