How would you finish round these windows?

Barryscotland

Options put forward are stop the blocks at the height of the fascias so there’s a straight line across an clad in anthracite grey the rest of the way up.

Plastic fascia on the upper angles an couple of catnics and make super sized sills or a narrow lintel with a thin sill

continue the blocks up to the roof line in three ‘pillars’ then put anthracite fascia between the upper an lower windows and on the two remaining angles   

Had also thought I could frame it out and put render board on the angled bits above windows and make thin blocks and stick them on kind of like you would with decarock but that still leaves the between upper n lower window to make something that will work

suggestions welcome and needed

5A2B5C29-90F4-4C9A-BDB6-82A35430210C.jpeg

BB5D8749-AC44-4B6B-83D2-D9DE415BE82F.jpeg

Edited by Barryscotland
  • Like 1

That’s a bit of a kerfuffle isn’t it. What do the drawings show?

I would have thought continuing the blocks up in pillars would look the best. And between the lower and upper windows but I guess that’s not do-able?

I see on the side window there’s a lintel that matches the blocks, or at least seems to. Is that not an option?

Edited by Russdl
Added some stuff

33 minutes ago, Russdl said:

That’s a bit of a kerfuffle isn’t it. What do the drawings show?

Drawings show decaroc with no sills, 
drawings will be amended when we’re done

I would have thought continuing the blocks up in pillars would look the best. And between the lower and upper windows but I guess that’s not do-able?

Problem is the depth between the lower and upper window is to much for just a sill unless it’s a monster, we could (I think) set a monster sized sill on a catnic lintel 

I see on the side window there’s a lintel that matches the blocks, or at least seems to. Is that not an option?

We can make a lintel or sill to any size to match the blocks we’ve made

If you have the budget there are companies that make steels/lintels any shape you want. They also cut bricks to make slips and supply the lintels with them ready fitted. We have two windows that needed lintels shaped like this..  _n_  and got them made that way. You can't see any exposed steel anywhere.

@Barryscotland

Barry that is looking good by the way.

Have done something like this before. I would go for a 150 x 90 x 10  thk angle section galvanized. You angle cut top and botton and put on a 6.0mm thk plate at the top and bottom . It's a structural "by inspection" issue per it's the detailing.

The main thing is to get the coursing right..that is the key so it looks good.. the rest is fairly simple but you need to make sure it is all tied back to the kit.. or it's dangerous.

If you get stuck PM me.

• 7 months later...

This is how we ended up finishing it. Still need to make the date stone for the hole thats left and in hind sight should of bought some brown vents instead of using the whites we already had. Just need to build up the ground level now then roughcast the rest.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2