Please comment on my initial request for interest/estimate to builders document

LaCurandera

Hi, 

Heavily inspired by @Indy's thread on estimating, https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/27699-information-needed-for-a-quote-from-the-online-estimators/ I've been pulling together a document to send to the long list of builders we have to:

• gauge their interest if it's even a project they want / suitable
  • provide them with reasonable context of the full build ahead of building drawings and tender to show we're serious
  • hopefully show we have made some decisions!
  • get us at least some ball parks as frankly, it's a magic number generator at the moment. I know they can't quote without the building drawings, only after a 50K range to watertight/first fix
  • see how they respond / working practices (e.g. we largely chose our architect on his responsiveness and open approach to our initial contact)

It'll be accompanied by various docs listed and offering a site visit if they want etc. Aim it to go from 5-7 potential builders down to 2-4 for tender. 

If there's anything we've obviously missed at this stage, or I'm just spouting acronyms incorrectly (very likely!), or anything that'd offend a competent builder, please let me know. I'm going to send to our architect for comment too. 

Thanks!

Request for broad estimate Build Hub.pdf

Edited by LaCurandera

Far too formal for most builders IMO. You could be putting off many small contractors. First approach should be phone call followed by site visit and a drawing. Then you get into detail with interested parties. 

• Like 2

Bloody hell. All I’ve done so far is send them drawings to get estimates/quotes back. 😂 A couple have been out to have a look at the site. Even then getting responses requires a lot of chasing up. You send them that and you won’t hear from them. Most of the folk I’ve contacted would run a mile if I sent them that. I will contract with some of them on the bigger stuff. 

If I were you I’d contact the 5-7 long list and talk to them about your build and ask them what they would need to provide an estimate and if they can fit into your timescales. A lot of them will just need to see the technical drawings to give you some idea at this stage. You can then choose 3 to send the full detailed spec and tender documents to. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a contractor that is exactly what I’d like to see. A clear concise idea of what you are expecting. I get a 

lot of sets of plans saying price this. I don’t have the time to break it all down and I am much better at returning a quote if I’m supplied with a bill of quantities and some idea of the clients expectations on programme. 

• Like 2

My thought would be that having mentioned that you are awaiting planning permission, a discussion with the builders about the type of project and if this sort of thing is of interest to them and have they completed similar projects would be a start, and commenting about when you hope to start on site.

I would first want to find out if I could work with the builders, then how much and when.

I'm with @Canski building plans show the complexity of the building. Site location the logistics. Bill of quants the amount of work.

Given a set of plans, location and a specification that's a days work to figure out the quantities and price them up. (Not so on new build because there's more "standard" work) 

Good luck 

M

• Like 1

Judging by your post of June this year, your best to invite builders to the property so they can see what they are pricing up for. 

Otherwise the estimates will be so far out, you'll be wondering where they got the figures from. 

You said in a post in June about buying some materials from Wickes and other builder's merchants. It's best to let contractors buy the stuff they need and use otherwise the whole job could turn to 5£!t with materials.

• Like 3

Thanks for the opinions. 

I can see that they might be put off, but also in some way I don't want to have a "we'll just shake on it" relationship, I'd want clear expectations both sides. I will do the ring around ahead of sending it over though. 

I'm catching up with our architect today too, so will get his opinion as well. 

On 30/08/2022 at 17:46, twice round the block said:

Judging by your post of June this year, your best to invite builders to the property so they can see what they are pricing up for. 

Otherwise the estimates will be so far out, you'll be wondering where they got the figures from. 

You said in a post in June about buying some materials from Wickes and other builder's merchants. It's best to let contractors buy the stuff they need and use otherwise the whole job could turn to 5£!t with materials.

Ah, that's been misinterpreted. I don't want to buy anything myself, it was that if we didn't specify that we wanted a certain thing (e.g MK) that they'd end up quoting for the most basic and when we query it to get what we want it'd be an uplift in cost we aren't expecting. So I'm hoping that saying things (in the full tender) of "XYX style HDF skirting in 168mm depth" just makes it simple for everyone.