Light coloured building sand - where can I get some near Brighton?

Mr Punter

I have a project in Brighton and we are using a light grey brick.  The standard building sand around here is from Nutfield quarry and is dark orange.  When it is made into mortar it ends up drying to a buff / beige colour and looks awful with the brick.  I tried adding some black dye to the mix but the mortar just looks like cow dung.  I can get hold of rendering sand that is OK for colour but not good for mortar.

I have tried a few builders merchants without success.  I am after bulk bags, delivered with a hiab.  Any ideas?

Google can find very expensive white sand but most seems to be much further north, like Scotland.

There is grey/silver on ebay from Cornwall.. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fine-Building-SAND-in-a-Bulk-Dumpy-Bag-NATIONWIDE-delivery-from-Cornwall/264718480404?mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338624526&toolid=20006&customid=a73f1d7d0c7be307511759f94c6d873c&pageci=50c334c0-58c6-4b6e-b669-048735570dc9&redirect=mobile

But I would try and find the quarry and buy direct rathe than through ebay.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Temp said:

That seems good but the pallet delivery could be an issue.  It is a few steps up to the slab so I will see if a ramp would work.  I have contacted the seller to find out carriage costs.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well I went with @Temp's suggestion and ended up with sand from Cornwall.  With the shipping it cost a fortune but I had already bought the bricks and had them approved by Planning so no way of going back.  I bought 2 tonne bags.  Material was about £80, shipping £175 (2 pallets).  I will need 2 more.  I think it will dry a bit lighter than the photo but you can see in the foreground the colour of mortar made with our local sand would not have worked.

image.png.97fa80b701a70e215479f4a6e55c7f68.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

What ratio was used to achieve this shade and was it just the buff sand cement? I know cement is different shades too depending on the brand.
Nice brick whatever it is, really hard to find a decent grey brick and the price of them are expensive.

I have a grey brick to use & need a similar tone or mortar or a bit lighter than that, any hints of beige look terrible with grey.

2 hours ago, ruggers said:

What ratio was used to achieve this shade and was it just the buff sand cement? I know cement is different shades too depending on the brand.
Nice brick whatever it is, really hard to find a decent grey brick and the price of them are expensive.

I have a grey brick to use & need a similar tone or mortar or a bit lighter than that, any hints of beige look terrible with grey.

The sand was from Kernow Mixers in Cornwall.  Mix is something like 1:1/2:4 cement:hydrated lime:sand.

image.png.4223fdaf288ba91bcd7353a019da9cfc.png

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Did you try white cement?

I thought about it but price and availability ruled it out. It is already a palaver having 2 different sand colours so mixer needing thorough washout if they change from blockwork to face work.

• Like 1