Upvc door

Alwayslearning22

Hi everyone, I have a Upvc back door that has water leaking into the house from the beading that holds in the glass.

I took off the beading and the channel underneath the glass is full of water. What should one do to remedy this problem? Drilling drainage holes? Through to the bottom of the door?  Thanks 

20 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Can you take that panel out ?

if so it needs to drain into the cill and out the front of the cill. 

I had the i plastic panel out the other day and could see it had no hole drilled for drainage. Can I  drill straight down through that metal infill bar at the bottom of the door?

If you're getting water in here, then the seal on the external side has failed. You'd need to replace that, you shouldn't need to drill drainage holes. Just replace the seal for the panel and all should be good.

Edited by craig

11 minutes ago, craig said:

If you're getting water in here, then the seal on the external side has failed. You'd need to replace that, you shouldn't need to drill drainage holes. Just replace the seal for the panel and all should be good.

Oh right I thought those doors had drainage in the inside like Upvc windows? 

4 hours ago, Alwayslearning22 said:

Also it doesn’t look like the seals can be removed on the outside? 

Really depends on the system, bottom drained or face drain. Usually if face drained, you’ll have 2 slots with (probably lost now) drainage caps at the bottom of the door on front or if bottom drained 2 slots at the bottom (underneath).

Panels are essentially just glass replacements, they should be able to be removed, just like glass. Looking at your door picture, you have beads holding the panel in place. 

I haven’t see the external but presume similar without beads. Once you take off beads internally, you’ll probably see packers for the panel and possibly other type clips/screws holding panel in place.

Different systems, have different ways of doing things.

Edited by craig

1 hour ago, craig said:

Really depends on the system, bottom drained or face drain. Usually if face drained, you’ll have 2 slots with (probably lost now) drainage caps at the bottom of the door on front or if bottom drained 2 slots at the bottom (underneath).

Panels are essentially just glass replacements, they should be able to be removed, just like glass. Looking at your door picture, you have beads holding the panel in place. 

I haven’t see the external but presume similar without beads. Once you take off beads internally, you’ll probably see packers for the panel and possibly other type clips/screws holding panel in place.

Different systems, have different ways of doing things.

The panel has little inward curves (wood panel effect?) where the seal is , so that’s where the water is getting past the seal I think. There’s no drain holes on the face either. So should this door had some sort of internal drainage? It’s only two years old.  

I could try and replace the seal on the outside but it probably won’t seal very well even with a new seal against the panel curves