Where do I put my battery storage?

Thorfun

The current SE battery has a built in fire extinguisher .......

Outside is better in my opinion because if there is a fire/incident better outside than in. Heat build up (especially in lofts etc. ) not an issue if outside. Also getting a 130kg battery in a loft ( or replacing it; won't be too much fun ). Most of all though outside gives space for additions/alterations at a later date.

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Outside is better in my opinion because if there is a fire/incident better outside than in. Heat build up (especially in lofts etc. ) not an issue if outside. Also getting a 130kg battery in a loft ( or replacing it; won't be too much fun ). Most of all though outside gives space for additions/alterations at a later date.

I am thinking of building a little block kiosk. Dress it up with some cladding or something. 

• Like 1

Just now, pocster said:

If you have the space then that would be cool. 

I am just thinking a 4 inch concrete slab, brick/block on 3 sides, maybe 900mm tall, depends on batteries, mine will be rack mount units and about 8U high so that works, then a big double door on the front. So all in all it will be about W1200mm x D900mm x H900mm internal space.

1 minute ago, markc said:

... much worse than a lead acid battery fire

.. and they just tend to explode without actually burning unlike the firework that is the Li battery.

I once shot a mobile phone lithium battery pack - fireworks and funny smoke!

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I am just thinking a 4 inch concrete slab, brick/block on 3 sides, maybe 900mm tall, depends on batteries, mine will be rack mount units and about 8U high so that works, then a big double door on the front. So all in all it will be about W1200mm x D900mm x H900mm internal space.

Yep.

Also again in my opinion indoor space is 'valued' space i.e. sq meterage has value and use. If you have loads of unused space indoors then I think it's fine. But when you want big sofa's / arcade machines/ massive kitchen/ downstairs WC - then batteries go outdoors 😁

Edited by pocster
  • Like 2

Completely agree. Our plant room is just a bit bigger than it needed to be. You’re paying a lot of cash for the house so batteries outside but I’ve canned the batteries for now anyway. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, pocster said:

Cold is more of a problem though. Again, the exact chemistry is important as Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries cannot be charged at temperatures below freezing.  Heaters have to be used in the packs to charge in sub-zero temperatures. They're OK with being charged/discharged up to 55oC so a loft shouldn't be a problem. And if the battery is indoors some of the charging inefficiency is reclaimed in winter heating. Same with inverters.

This is why I find it interesting - the heart says outside, the head says inside until a proven hazard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Radian said:

Cold is more of a problem though. Again, the exact chemistry is important as Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries cannot be charged at temperatures below freezing.  Heaters have to be used in the packs to charge in sub-zero temperatures. They're OK with being charged/discharged up to 55oC so a loft shouldn't be a problem. And if the battery is indoors some of the charging inefficiency is reclaimed in winter heating. Same with inverters.

This is why I find it interesting - the heart says outside, the head says inside until a proven hazard.

True .

I think the relative inefficiencies ( I.e how many hours of extremely high temperatures and low ) are very small .

Follow your head 😁👍

Mine was (is should I still do it) going in an insulated garage. I just don’t want them in the house in the same way I won’t park the EV right next to the house. The likelihood of a  ‘thermal event’ is tiny. The consequence is huge though given they can be hard to extinguish. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Mine was (is should I still do it) going in an insulated garage. I just don’t want them in the house in the same way I won’t park the EV right next to the house. The likelihood of a  ‘thermal event’ is tiny. The consequence is huge though given they can be hard to extinguish. 

Garage is an ideal indoors yet outdoors place . Why are you not going down the battery route now ?