Solid Oak Stable Door

Caddy

I'm looking for a stable door for the porch on my old cottage and was thinking to go solid oak for looks and hopefully durability.

Is solid hardwood still the way to go or are composite doors more popular these days or something with a better U value than wood?

I've seen this company and can get the custom sized door I need for ~£900 with prime grade oak and oiled finish. Anybody used this company or could suggest any others?

https://wittswood.co.uk/quality-hardwood-products/stable-doors/exterior-stable-door-53-69-131-detail

Any advice appreciated.

21 minutes ago, Bonner said:

Engineered wood is better for stability. Solid oak can twist so much that the door won’t close properly. Drafts/air leakage is more of an issue than U-value.

I think my problem with engineered wood is that they mainly only come in standard sizes i.e. 1981mm high. My door needs to be 1918 which is a 62mm difference and the engineered doors have ~15mm strips for trimming. A lot of places doing  the solid wood doors are made to order anyway and they can reduce the height easily. I'll keep looking as I have nothing against engineered doors but I've not seen one in the size I need.

6 hours ago, Caddy said:

I think my problem with engineered wood is that they mainly only come in standard sizes i.e. 1981mm high. My door needs to be 1918 which is a 62mm difference and the engineered doors have ~15mm strips for trimming. A lot of places doing  the solid wood doors are made to order anyway and they can reduce the height easily. I'll keep looking as I have nothing against engineered doors but I've not seen one in the size I need.

depends on style of door, lippings can be ripped off, door sized and lippings dressed on the back and replaced.