Rainwater downpipe: shoe or not?

WWilts

New build in progress.

Highly permeable strata all the way down to permeable bedrock. Trench foundation sitting on limestone brash. Foundation blocks are concrete.

Planned: Rainwater downpipes mostly 68mm > bottle gully > twinwall pipe 63mm > rainwater garden (incl existing trees)

Qu: Should the downpipes have a shoe at the bottom or should they simply hang vertically above the gully?

Edited by WWilts

Preference really I'd suppose for aesthetics. As long as you leave a gap at the bottom from leaving them straight to get access to anything that ends up stopped by grating on the bottle gully. 

Bottle gullys are very expensive also, FYI. 

Mine currently are sitting in below the ground level. I am going to add runner boots to the bottom of mine then just link up some field drain wavin coil and drop them into my perimeter drain which is twinwall drainage. Which then discharges into the burn. 

I'd originally planned 110mm soil.pipes with fittings but the groundworkers were like...that will be mega hard.and Cost a fortune. 

• Like 1

This is what we did. Down pipe into 110mm with rubber adaptors. Have lots of trees and leaf fall but never been a problem..

20220725_180618.thumb.jpg.75ab9250c7b2b2d1cd78edda3e38cd5f.jpg

From there the water goes to a leaf filter and rainwater tank. Overflow to piped ditch in the road verge.

• Like 1