Black timber cladding

BartW

This thread is a bit old now but I am also contending with the same issues - planning to use open jointed cladding. My starting point is this useful article - https://www.ecologicalbuildingsystems.com/post/ask-expert-what-type-breather-membrane-should-i-use-behind-wall-cladding

UV membrane on the wall panels that cross battens then cladding. I had wondered about further membrane/mesh over the battens before the cladding but advice from Russwood is that even mesh can cause higher drying times for the cladding. My architect has raised concerns with insects etc but elsewhere I have read this is maybe not worth worrying about?!

On 19/07/2022 at 07:26, BartW said:

Hi all,

We are installing open rain screen vertical cladding on our TF build, but my worry is that we will be able to see battens through the 10mm gaps.

How do people normally go about it?

- paint battens? crazy time consuming

- throw another layer of cheap breather? perhaps even geotextile? expensive given the m2

- not do anything?

UV resistant black building breather membrane stuff. 

1 hour ago, markharro said:

I had wondered about further membrane/mesh over the battens before the cladding

we have friends that did just this as they had a silver membrane outside the TF which would've been visible through the open cladding. they spoke to the manufacturer of the membranes who said it was ok to do.

if you're going this route then speak to the relevant manufacturers to make sure their products are ok in this situation.

I was the OP on this thread, and can confirm I went with Powerlon UV120. The manufacturer confirmed they were happy with two layers of breather.

Just to be clear, my setup is:

- TF house

- Thermo TF200

- battens

- counters

- Powerlon UV120

- vertical cladding

We are doing an insect mesh to the bottom, and top for extra ventilation.

• Like 1