Delays with service quotes from DNO

Hi all

After buying an infill plot from a National house builder I sent off the forms to Lastmile for service quotations for gas and electric on 28th April. 

At this stage I just need a quote and to be reassured that I have filled the forms correctly and that they can supply me when I need it. I will need a temporary electric supply in October / November 

I have chased them 3 times a week for the last 6 weeks or so and they still haven’t provided a quote and are saying that they are having problems with their sub contractors. They don’t reply to emails or phone calls and are driving me slowly insane. I am sure if I don’t keep chasing them then nothing will get resolved but am dismayed at them stonewalling me. 

Has anyone else had similar problems ?

Dave

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Go direct to the individual utilities rather than through an agent.

I would love to but I’ve been told by the distribution network operator i.e Last mile who connected all the other properties on the housing estate that I have to go through them. 

3 hours ago, Canski said:

I’ve been told by the distribution network operator i.e Last mile who connected all the other properties on the housing estate that I have to go through them. 

Well they would. Try your electric company direct and you will know for sure.

Just to check..

There is "Last Mile Asset Management " who are a nationwide connection company and "Last Mile Electricity" who are an IDNO in one area of the country.

Are you in the area covered by the latter or are you dealing with the former?

On 05/07/2022 at 11:26, Temp said:

There is "Last Mile Asset Management " who are a nationwide connection company and "Last Mile Electricity" who are an IDNO in one area of the country.

Are you in the area covered by the latter or are you dealing with the former?

I'm dealing with Last Mile Asset 'Management' I called them yesterday and was told they would call me back. They didn't ! Tried it again today no luck (After being told that they were very busy I got diverted to a mailbox) I left a message again and no call back.... So frustrating.

It looks like Last Mile Electricity are an IDNO which means they are the DNO for a number of new housing developments. Unfortunately you may not have any choice but to deal with them.

Surprisingly for a DNO they have a lot of contact info on their web site...  https://lastmile-uk.com/contact/

Although that doesn't help much if they don't respond.

https://engx.theiet.org/f/wiring-and-regulations/28736/dealing-with-a-dno-as-a-self-builder

Dealing with a DNO as a Self Builder

Jam 7 hours ago

Yes, DNOs can take a long time to come back with a quote. It does need to be built into the project programme (depending on what you need, perhaps even at the feasibility/consenting stage!) Your mileage may vary by project type and DNO.

However there is a statutory time by which they need to produce a quote, once formally submitted and all information provided, and there is a liquidated claim you can make should they fail to meet that standard. In addition, they are required to report on this performance to Ofgem. IME, DNOs do take it quite seriously… for at least one it’s also a an internal disciplinary matter for an offer to go out late.

In terms of actual times, I don’t have a complete table to hand, as I’m not in the office today. Note that it varies with project type… and the clock doesn’t start until you’ve provided *all* the required & requested information in the correct way.

If you have a complaint, obviously start at the DNO (who will have a process) but if it can’t be resolved this one of the things Ofgem is there for.

Yes, you can hire licensed (Lloyds registered) Independent Connection Providers to do some of the work, which the DNO then adopts. Some work - like jointing onto the existing network - remains the sole purview of the DNO. And you still need to go through the same connections process (although this time you need to make sure the offer includes the Competition in Connections option). But IME unless you’ve got a lot of new cable to install, or it’s an HV connection the extra overhead may well exceed any saving.

You can indeed hire companies to navigate the connection, but they don’t have a fast-track (although by making sure the application is right first time, and being able to talk the DNO’s language should issues arise, *may* get quicker results)

Thanks for this Temp. I don't know if one of you guys had a word with them 🙂  but the quotes came in today. £1770 for Gas and £ 2012 for electric for 2 houses. The only problem is they forgot to quote for a temporary supply and also quoted for single phase when I requested 3 phase. Snakes and ladders feeling here. 

£15  to £65 per day penalty/compensation if you gave them the right info...

https://engx.theiet.org/f/wiring-and-regulations/28736/dealing-with-a-dno-as-a-self-builder/126084

• DNO should respond with a quote for LV connections within between 5 and 25 days from the point that you ask for it with sufficient information.  There is a Guaranteed Standard  see e.g. UKPN publication Our_Guaranteed_Standards_of_Performance_2015.pdf  all DNOs have the same standards.  You should get (£15 to £65 depending on size of supply) compensation for each day that they are late.  There are  GSs for HV and EHV quotes too

Edited by Temp

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/08/2022 at 18:04, Canski said:

I'm still waiting so have written a letter of complaint citing the levels of compensation. Lets see if anything happens.

Bingo !! That worked. The quotes came back today. OK they were incorrect but I told them what they had got wrong and back they came again. Progress at last.