Attic Trusses are so expensive!

Hi guys 

got quotes back on our roof, MiTek and minera, quoted basically the same at £29k for the attic trusses. 

there are a fair few mind.

can I ask what did most people go for here? Cut rafters on site with steel or attic trusses?

thanks in advance.

Trusses for the main house. Simple cut rafters with a Glulam beam in the garden room as it is vaulted without ties. I wanted to avoid steel due to cold bridging and the need for a SE. Didn’t price up a full cut roof but can imagine the labour cost tipping the scales towards trusses.

1 hour ago, Renegade105 said:

Hi guys 

got quotes back on our roof, MiTek and minera, quoted basically the same at £29k for the attic trusses. 

there are a fair few mind.

can I ask what did most people go for here? Cut rafters on site with steel or attic trusses?

thanks in advance.

I’m starting to repeat myself 

But it’s so important that you shop around 

In the past I’ve used Pasquils for Posi trusses etc 

But like everything else companies are taking advantage of rising costs 

Pasquils and two other companies are virtually double the price for Attic trusses for the garage and about a third more than the company that I’m using 

Sure costs have gone up 

But not as much as they are making out 

In the end we opted for a cut roof , the main part of the house is cut on steel and the vaulted family room is on glulam .

You will need a SE to design this and BC will want the drawings .

Had trusses priced from 3 companies to supply and asked the builder to give me the price for fitting them and give me a price for cutting a roof there was only £500 difference in labour cost. 

we have attic trusses and cut roof for our vaulted entrance hall. having to insulate using PIR over the trusses I regret not just opting for a cut roof throughout! would've made the insulating a LOT easier not having to cut out around each truss etc. such a pain.

maybe something to bear in mind if you're doing your own insulation.

43 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

@nod gives you a couple to try above. 

Thanks Mike 

Danscar Timber 

Heywood Timber 

Both independents 

There will be plenty in your locality 

1 hour ago, Renegade105 said:

Thanks guys.

ok so which truss suppliers should I try?

I have tried MiTek and Minera, both came in around the same. 

Try Donaldson direct as well ,you can get a instant online price and I found it wasn't to far off their Full quote after I had sent over the plans . 

thanks guys, have sent my plans to ALL of them, lets see. Crendon is right next to us so brilliant tip there Faz.

I do have a question for the group, would you opt for a posi-joist-Attic truss (posijoist as the lower member), or have just a classic attic truss and run the services in the eaves etc.

I wonder what the norm is here, I assume posi's are going to be more expensive in any case.