Mains cable

nod

I’ve been informed by the electricity suppliers that due to the distance from the pole across the road

We will probably need to install a box at the gates Then run the next 23 meters from the box to the house 

I’ve got the electrical ducting in place With a hockey stick next to the meter box 

A friend who is a retired electrician has said I will probably need a 25 mil Armoured cable and struggle to get it through that type of ducting 

Any thoughts 

Edited by nod

i presume that the worry is voltage drop?? do you have an official quitation for a supply showing cable route and cost??, when my mum had her electricity supply converted from overhead to underground then she had an official quote from SSE done from plans which showed the proposed cable route, when the guys came to site then they realised that the cable route was too long for the voltage drop of the cable that they were going to use and had quoted for, to counter this they had to install a larger cable from the pole to almost all the way into the house then jointed a smalled diameter cable into the house to the new cutout fuse, this additional cost was not passed onto my mum as it was SSE who had made the mistake in the calculations

• Like 1

Ran 45m of 25mm from new build to old bungalow, 80A switched fuse in the meter box.  No complaints from the electrician.  I did feed it through the ducting 60mm ish I think before burying it though.

When Western power came in to move the supply the main supply went through 100mm ducting that I laid for them quite easy, I left a nice thick piece of rope in there though. 

• Like 1

If the issue is voltage drop, then stopping the DNO's cable at the gate and running your cable from there, will not stop the volt drop.  If anything it will increase it as your cable is likely to be smaller.  

I would go back to them to question the technical reason for this?  Are they concerned Ze will exceed the maximum limit?  If so the solution is not to shorten the run, but to increase the cable size they use.

Can you post a plan of what they are proposing?  there is usually a site plan showing what they connect and from where with the different size cables they are proposing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nod said:

I’ve been informed by the electricity suppliers that due to the distance from the pole across the road

We will probably need to install a box at the gates Then run the next 23 meters from the box to the house 

I’ve got the electrical ducting in place With a hockey stick next to the meter box 

A friend who is a retired electrician has said I will probably need a 25 mil Armoured cable and struggle to get it through that type of ducting 

Any thoughts 

You will easily get 25mm through duct.25

Practically every external circuit outside the domestic environment is installed in duct, 50mm, 100mm and 150mm being the most common. 

95mm cable in a 100mm duct, no issue.

How far is your run?

Residential laterals I tend to design in 25mm up to about 35m then 35mm after that.

DNO will use split concentric cable which is rated slightly higher than xlpe swa.  

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1