Silicone Masonry Paint

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

For our build we specified an Irish sourced external one coat render system (Kilsaran One Coat) - this was applied a couple of years ago and has not been a success. After rain we see dark patchy areas following the lines of the underlying block work and have had to have areas patched. We have been in touch with our builder who has been very good at trying to sort out the problem, unfortunately Kilsaran don't seem at all interested in helping. We have therefore come to a mutual agreement that the way forward is to paint over the render.

Kilsaran recommend a silicone based paint (Ceresit CT 48). however I am not minded to take their recommendation without further research or advice.  Our builder has proposed using STO "StoColor Silco G", Johnstones have a product in their Stormshield line "Silicone Masonry".

Does anyone have experience of silicone paints or painting over one-coat renders ?

Guest Alphonsox

I'ts not clear that the Lotusan will stick to the Kilsaran, but I need to give Sto a call to discuss. 

We used the Baumit.com render system with their Silikon Top final coat. That is definitely very waterproof and robust. It might be asking if they think that would adhere to what you have.

Guest Alphonsox
On 25/05/2017 at 00:06, Declan52 said:

Could you test it out on a section round the back/side that isn't seen just incase after painting it on the motar beads still show through.

I was hoping to try something like that - unfortunately this isn't the sort of paint that comes in "tester" pots so minimum purchase is 5ltr at around £50.

On 24/05/2017 at 18:11, Alphonsox said:

Kilsaran recommend a silicone based paint (Ceresit CT 48). however I am not minded to take their recommendation without further research or advice.  Our builder has proposed using STO "StoColor Silco G", Johnstones have a product in their Stormshield line "Silicone Masonry".

Does anyone have experience of silicone paints or painting over one-coat renders ?

Have you spoken to Johnstones Technical department ..? I've spoken to them on a couple of occasions and they have been fantastic - they are knowledgeable and helpful. 

Guest Alphonsox
27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Have you spoken to Johnstones Technical department ..? I've spoken to them on a couple of occasions and they have been fantastic - they are knowledgeable and helpful. 

Good idea - I'll give them a call.