Foam filled cavity demolition

SuesieG

We will be demolishing a brick/block built bungalow which has foam filled cavities (blown in & rigid). Has anyone had experience of issues this creates and whether the resulting rubble is useable as hardcore and how the foam is removed! Not yet spoken to demolition companies but will be doing soon. Thanks

1 hour ago, SuesieG said:

We will be demolishing a brick/block built bungalow which has foam filled cavities (blown in & rigid). Has anyone had experience of issues this creates and whether the resulting rubble is useable as hardcore and how the foam is removed! Not yet spoken to demolition companies but will be doing soon. Thanks

What a great question. I will be intrigued as to responses you get on this one if anyone has experience and further down the line, your own findings of what happens when your contractor demo's your building.

I am going to suggest it will just get broken up into the rubble as the walls fall, I do however hate the idea that some of this rubbish is just going to break up, blow around, get mashed into foam powder which will go into the ground where it will stay for centuries. I don't even like PIR insulation being cut outside and all that dust going into gardens/sites. Everywhere I look contamination from man made materials is in the ground. Stuff like block and brick and cement and even glass is bad enough but at least it is more or less inert and as far as I know would cause no pollution in terms of a contamination that can leach through into the soil/water.

Edited by Carrerahill

• 1 month later...

We have this exact issue right now. Walls down have exposed the cavity insulation tiny polystyrene balls. They are all over the place. We have bagged the bigger clumps but the stuff disintegrates as you touch it. I am trying to work out how I can clear it before the demo guys return on Monday. Anyone got any ideas? It doesnt really hoover up and scooping it by hand is just not feasible!