patio headaches

First time patio'er, and what I thought should be fairly straightforward has now revealed a number of headaches. 

It is fairly hard to describe without a photo/diagram, but I can't seem to attach anything on this site(?), so bear with... 

The kitchen at the rear of the house opens onto a thin concrete pathway running across the house wall. Beyond it is grass, and I want to build the patio out from the wall about 3 metres. Now, the obvious thing to do would be to smash up the path, and build in its place but the path houses various things within it including a downpipe and various plumbing for dishwasher etc that I'd rather not disturb. It also connects to a tarmac section further along which i intend continue the patio over too, which is at the the same height. 

So plan B was just patio over the concrete since its a good sturdy base anyway, then extend it out where the grass is. Problem is, that the path at one end is 3 bricks below dpc, but then rises up towards the other end of the house to less than 2 bricks (140mm).

Anyone got any ideas on whether I might be able to trim back this higher section, and how? Or am I over-thinking, Over- complicating as usual? 

Many thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Personally I avoid decking with space below because rodents like that sort of space... 

can always block the ends with decking upstands so access by any creature not possible . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

can always block the ends with decking upstands so access by any creature not possible . 

Yes you right. Most of the time the ones I've done have been over grass so a bit of a problem because they have dug down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Only problem with that is it restricts the airflow so if timber will rot away much faster. I've come to understand the importance of having significant ventilation under timber decking. 🙄

12 minutes ago, Radian said:

Only problem with that is it restricts the airflow so if timber will rot away much faster. I've come to understand the importance of having significant ventilation under timber decking. 🙄

Sure . Hence not timber 😁

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Sure . Hence not timber 😁

Can you bung  me £10k so I can redo my biggest deck in composite? Did a small one outside the living room one 25 years using Douglas Fir and it's still mint. About 15 years later I built a 12m x 3m one at the southern end of the garden using B&Q deck boards and it's completely shot through.🙄

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Radian said:

Can you bung  me £10k so I can redo my biggest deck in composite? Did a small one outside the living room one 25 years using Douglas Fir and it's still mint. About 15 years later I built a 12m x 3m one at the southern end of the garden using B&Q deck boards and it's completely shot through.🙄

Sure thing ! . 10k on its way to you .

Nothings cheap anymore and if you want it to last forever then composite / alli joists / plastic legs will do that .

9 minutes ago, Radian said:

About 15 years later I built a 12m x 3m one at the southern end of the garden using B&Q deck boards and it's completely shot through

Built a frame out of cheap fencing timber 15 years ago. Replaced it this year (and extended it).

Total cost under 200 quid for about 7m².

Made sure the timber is raised up off the ground this time.

So should get 20 years out of it.

@pocster did his apprenticeship with Fred West.

thanks for the replies guys. I'm actually not all that far from Cromwell St😯

I did look into having decking last year during lock down but decided against, partly for the same reason that I'd have to smash the concrete path up first otherwise it'd be too high. 

One of the other issues I have is which way to orient the fall. Clearly I want it going away from the house, but the patio area would also encompass an outbuilding, and the neighbours garage wall, all facing in completely different angles!