Octopus Smart Meter Display suddenly showing export rate

NSS

Last week our display unit indicated that it had been updated and since then has shown a 'live' figure for kW being exported when there's excess PV rather than just showing a zero. Anyone else noticed this?

Was hoping it would mean the hourly/daily/weekly export amounts would now show on our Octopus account (online) but nothing as yet.

On 10/05/2022 at 09:17, NSS said:

Last week our display unit indicated that it had been updated and since then has shown a 'live' figure for kW being exported when there's excess PV rather than just showing a zero. Anyone else noticed this?

Was hoping it would mean the hourly/daily/weekly export amounts would now show on our Octopus account (online) but nothing as yet.

I hope i understand this correctly, forgive me if i am on the wrong track. My octopus in home display will only show zero when there is excess PV. The on line account shows both usage and export amounts  daily, weekly and yearly. I hope this helps.

50 minutes ago, Ronny said:

I hope i understand this correctly, forgive me if i am on the wrong track. My octopus in home display will only show zero when there is excess PV. The on line account shows both usage and export amounts  daily, weekly and yearly. I hope this helps.

No, you're on the right track, but seems you have the opposite info to us. Our home display now shows the amount being exported at any moment (it previously showed zero when exporting) whereas our online account only shows usage, not exports. We're on Octopus Go.

57 minutes ago, NSS said:

We're on Octopus Go

What SEG do you have for export (if any), and is it with octopus?

We're on Octopus Outgoing and Octopus Go. Our in house display hasn't worked for years (since we asked for a meter move that they did as a replacement but never paired the display). But the online dashboard shows both import and export.

However, I don't get paid for export automatically. Every so often I email their support and they manually copy my export numbers to the billing system and credit my account.

Apparently "Octopus Outgoing and Octopus Go" is not a supported combo, I should never have been signed up into it, and hence the billing systems don't jive together

50 minutes ago, NSS said:

No SEG, ours was one of the late FIT installs.

Is the FiT managed by Octopus too?

In my experience getting the data through to the online dashboard (on Octopus and Ovo before that) was a bunch of work. The in-house display, the dashboard, and the billing systems all seem to be independently managed. 

29 minutes ago, joth said:

Is the FiT managed by Octopus too?

In my experience getting the data through to the online dashboard (on Octopus and Ovo before that) was a bunch of work. The in-house display, the dashboard, and the billing systems all seem to be independently managed. 

Again, no, it's with Good Energy.

19 hours ago, NSS said:

No, you're on the right track, but seems you have the opposite info to us. Our home display now shows the amount being exported at any moment (it previously showed zero when exporting) whereas our online account only shows usage, not exports. We're on Octopus Go.

I am also on octopus go. Checked again this morning and everything is still the same.

18 hours ago, joth said:

What SEG do you have for export (if any), and is it with octopus?

We're on Octopus Outgoing and Octopus Go. Our in house display hasn't worked for years (since we asked for a meter move that they did as a replacement but never paired the display). But the online dashboard shows both import and export.

However, I don't get paid for export automatically. Every so often I email their support and they manually copy my export numbers to the billing system and credit my account.

Apparently "Octopus Outgoing and Octopus Go" is not a supported combo, I should never have been signed up into it, and hence the billing systems don't jive together

I am on octopus go and octopus outgoing smart export guarantee. I have only had the first bill for the export and it is separate to the octopus go bill. It is working fine for me. I have 16 panels and (at the moment) 2 batteries. As long as there is some sun during the day i only use about 4KWh and this is all at the cheap night tariff. The result is zero cost per day and this includes the standing charge. Even on a dull day, the bill is no more than 50p, so building up a big credit for the winter use.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can I bump this, and ask for an update.

I have:

1 - Solar which deliver a FIT reward of around 15p per unit.

2 - Octopus on the bugger-Avro-went-bust tariff.

3 - I do not have an electric car or house batteries.

4 - No Smart meter, but considering the potential advantages.

If I just switch to a Smart Meter with Octopus, without embracing a tariff which takes over or removes my FIT, will it tell me how much I am exporting?

(The Octopus helpdesk man says it will only show it when using one of the special export tariffs, which sounds suspiciously like it involves losing my FIT.)

@NSS are these the same as your circumstances?

Thanks

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

If I just switch to a Smart Meter with Octopus, without embracing a tariff which takes over or removes my FIT, will it tell me how much I am exporting?

My daughters smart meter shows export and they are on a standard price capped varable tariff with no SEG

• Like 1

Just now, Dillsue said:

random capitalisation

Very much not random.

The k is always lower case, the W always upper case, the h is usually lower case, but as it is not an SI, or even a derived unit, can be either. Convention has time as always lower case, so t for time, s for seconds. S, is allowed at the beginning of a sentence.

Hmm.

So that seems to be worth a try then.

Ah. Money and Energy reminds me of past embarrassments in advertising. Nearly of Consignia plugole quality.

I quite like "If you cut draughts, you cut overdrafts."

"GET MORE FOR YOUR MONERGY". 

6 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Normally, on this forum it is!😁

And that is why I pick up on it so often.

If this online community wants to be taken seriously, then a good start is to use correct terminology.

None talks about the joules when they talk about 'life energy', it is because they talk bollocks and can't count.

Edited by SteamyTea

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

So that seems to be worth a try then.

I think that your eleccy supplier can upload unit rates to your display so you can see what your using in £, but if you set the display to show units it will display those

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Can I bump this, and ask for an update.

I have:

1 - Solar which deliver a FIT reward of around 15p per unit.

2 - Octopus on the bugger-Avro-went-bust tariff.

3 - I do not have an electric car or house batteries.

4 - No Smart meter, but considering the potential advantages.

(The Octopus helpdesk man says it will only show it when using one of the special export tariffs, which sounds suspiciously like it involves losing my FIT.)

@NSS are these the same as your circumstances?

Thanks

Ferdinand

No mate, we're on Go and our FiT payments come via Good Energy.

• Like 1