Alarm cable to garage

Is there a problem with running the alarm cable for the separate garage in the same duct as the mains supply? Not sure yet whether the main supply will go to the garage then the house or vice versa but either way I need to run an alarm cable.

TIA

Alarm data cables should be separated from power cables, so really need to go in separate duct.  The concern is primarily interference, rather than electrical safety. It's also in the code of practice, not regulation, so it isn't actually mandatory, but nevertheless, for the cost of a bit of extra duct it's well worth doing, I think.  Worth noting that data cables should ideally be in grey duct, power should be in black duct (in England and Wales, I think Scotland likes power to be in red duct).  Again, within your own boundaries the duct colour isn't mandatory, but is good practice.

Edited by JSHarris

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Not sure yet whether the main supply will go to the garage then the house or vice versa but either way I need to run an alarm cable

We faced the same question. Our garage is near the front of our property, hence closer to the incoming supply. Approx 30m of cable run between them.

We decided to go house to garage as we could use the DNO's cable, they can get away with a relatively small cable prior to the incoming breaker and meter, but once past that we would have to get a massive cable to carry the 100A to the house. Garage is 32A so smaller cable is fine.

Run a cat 6 or two for cameras and another for intercom as it's cheaper and easier than the mobile ;). May be a good idea to run a phone line out there to so you can pick up if anyone rings without having to take the cordless with you, and you can use 2 of the redundant cat 6 ( phone line ) cores for that as the phone only needs one pair. 

All depends on what you want to do in the garage of course. 

Edit to add : Don't forget stranded for alarm not solid core. 

I used Ubiquiti Tough Cable for the outdoor runs to my cameras. Mainly because it was screened and I was a bit concerned that nearby lightning strikes might damage devices on unscreened cable? Probably worrying unnecessarily. You need the right connectors to match screened cable and a crimping tool. The matching connectors have a tail that can be used to earthed the screen but it's pretty flimsy. Nothing survives a direct lightning strike.

PS: If you use unscreened cable put it in the duct before burying the duct. I suspect unscreened cable is easily damaged if a lot of force is needed to pull it through a long buried duct?

PPS: Make sure the duct can't fill with water.