Keystone lintels how much !! Alternatives?

I have just had a quote for 3 keystone lintels and it's stung a bit and I've decided I'll find an alternative instead.

I have 3 fairly wide opening all 4.2m, 2 off which only have a few row of blocks above them then the roof . My cavity is 175mm which has driven the quote through the roof circa 8k in total.

Surely some RSJ's would do the job at alot less????

Two separate lintels would be cheaper, you can probably find an off the shelf 4500 box sections for internal and L shape single leaf lintel external, rather than a "cavity lintel" which at that length will be made to order. Ig lintels, birtlet lintels, catnic and I'm sure many others

• Thanks 1

175 Cavity is non standard so they are made to order. RSJ will need the SE to design for you, at 4.2m though you’ll be looking at probably 215 or 254 and that won’t be cheap - is this block and render outer skin too..?

• Thanks 1

On 04/05/2022 at 06:22, nod said:

RSJ with a hit and miss plate 

What's a 'Hit and miss plate' ?

Just wondering what is considered best practice to cover a steel lintel on the external leaf of a block and render build. My drawings show treated timber packers in the void with cement board over but i'm not quite convinced that timber is a good idea on the external leaf. Fine for the inside...

5 hours ago, Miek said:

My drawings show treated timber packers in the void with cement board over but i'm not quite convinced

well i'm stuffed then, the exterior of my house is either render board or fibre cement cladding over timber battens 😃

On 06/05/2022 at 13:53, Miek said:

Just wondering what is considered best practice to cover a steel lintel on the external leaf of a block and render build. My drawings show treated timber packers in the void with cement board over but i'm not quite convinced that timber is a good idea on the external leaf. Fine for the inside...

This is what they did on ours. I wasn't a fan but was too late to request them change it to precast concrete lintels, I'm not sure if that's an option at your span. 

On 12/05/2022 at 19:35, Iceverge said:

This is what they did on ours. I wasn't a fan but was too late to request them change it to precast concrete lintels, I'm not sure if that's an option at your span. 

Originally it was to be a concrete lintel, but the SE decided on a steel due to the span. I'm sure the wood packers will be fine.