Advice sought on PD vs PP - Replace Existing Extension

Hi All,

We're considering replacing an existing single storey lean-to extension with new structure, essentially on the same footprint. We're in a detatched house with plenty of space around. I've read the PD documentation and couldn't find anything specifically relating to this situation.

The current extension consists of a brick built wall about 1m high with conservatory style glazing above and a glass roof which constitutes a porch area. We would like to replace the structure with something more substantial and better insulated then knock through to create a larger kitchen. Construction would probably be rendered block to harmonise with the section of building it will adjoin. A new casement window will be fitted to the front elevation (significantly smaller than the existing glazed area) and one or two roof windows would be fitted).

Do you think we need PP or will PD cover it? Or would neither apply if it were considered to be just an improvement of the existing structure?

Do you have nosey or problematic neighbours? If not I would just get on with it if you are effectively replacing an existing especially if you are intending staying put for a number of years.

1 hour ago, markc said:

Do you have nosey or problematic neighbours? If not I would just get on with it if you are effectively replacing an existing especially if you are intending staying put for a number of years.

No, not really and the house isn't overlooked (well the nearest house on that side is 200m away). The part about staying put for a number of years might be the fly in the ointment. 🙄

48 minutes ago, Barnacles said:

No, not really and the house isn't overlooked (well the nearest house on that side is 200m away). The part about staying put for a number of years might be the fly in the ointment. 🙄

I would still just get on and do it, if when you came to sell the conveyancer picked it up (unlikely) then you could get an indemnity insurance against future problem, these do not cost much at all. Seller had to get one for an extension on a house I bought as the extension did not have planning.

47 minutes ago, markc said:

I would still just get on and do it, if when you came to sell the conveyancer picked it up (unlikely) then you could get an indemnity insurance against future problem, these do not cost much at all. Seller had to get one for an extension on a house I bought as the extension did not have planning.

👍That's what I wanted to hear, thank you. We needed an indemnity when we last sold a place and it was only £100 or so so if we had to do it again it's no drama.

37 minutes ago, Temp said:

Only issue I can think of is that side windows may now have to be frosted glass to be permitted development (or is that only first floor side windows?).

There aren't any side windows in the extension and we don't have any neighbours on that side of the house so hopefully that won't apply in this case. 🤞

Thanks for the advice, I'll get on and start drawing up the plans. Our builder is very "old school" and would gladly build it from a cigarette packet sketch but I suspect Building Control will want to see more than that 😁