Internal door casings

James94

I have 11 door casings just laid on floor and I’ve been let down by joiner, rang so many I’ve lost count. Earliest said mid May an other said August most said to busy.

My dad has been helping me a lot and he’s fitted a few in his house and has suggested he does them, but not sure as I don’t want him to mess them up.

If I do let him loose can anyone offer me some fitting advice to pass on, he’s been watching a few YouTube vids but some of them are quite old and I’m not sure if things have advanced now( the Skill builder ones look quite good) if he follows these can he go wrong?

If anyone can offer us any installation tips and things to be careful of would me most appreciated.

Regards. James

CD1A7E5D-4AC5-466E-82DC-8356A625F2D3.jpeg

No 1, while they are in storage, strap them together or lay them on a definitely flat floor weighted down to try and keep them straight in storage.

Are you fitting them to block walls (I guess so looking at the picture)

My No 1 tip is adjust the door linings to match the width of the actual doors plus a few mm. Doing that, I did not have to trim any doors.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No 1, while they are in storage, strap them together or lay them on a definitely flat floor weighted down to try and keep them straight in storage.

Are you fitting them to block walls (I guess so looking at the picture)

My No 1 tip is adjust the door linings to match the width of the actual doors plus a few mm. Doing that, I did not have to trim any doors.

Agreed.

pre hang (fit) doors into casings, use 2mm packers top and sides, screw casing to door with screws at an angle so they can be taken out after fitting casing (you never see the tiny holes after plugging and finishing).

this makes fitting a doddle and ensures nice even gaps.

if your dad does not have a trim router then buy him one, cheap one is fine and so much better than chiselling hinge rebates. Look on YouTube for routing hinges to make a cheapie jig

Edited by markc

I usually buy a cheap internal door 

the size of the doors your fitting Attach a couple of kitchen cupboard handles and drop it in the casing while you are making them up and the same whilst fitting It will help keep everything square 

• Like 2

@ProDave They came with a cling film around them to keep them together, I have opened one so I’ll wrap that back up. I’m hoping the floor should be level enough but I’ll get something to hold them down to stop any warping.

there are both block and stud walls. @nod there are about 5 different widths of doors eventually going in the casings which will be a while away so I don’t think it will be worth buying cheap doors to fit into casing prior to installation, but skill builder was doing something like that.

All the casing have been made to a couple of mm larger than the door that is going in them, so hopefully the joiner can fit them without taking anything off doors.

@markc It’s going to be a while before I get the doors and the joiner will be fitting them, dad doesn’t feel he can fit an expensive door, he’s used to £20 doors and that was some time ago they was that price.

Regards. James

Five different sizes 

Thats unusual Most of the houses I frame are 910 openings down

810 up 

20 quid per door isn’t much 

Put on FB for a tenner each when you’ve finished 

Yeah think it’s 5 most have been created in block work for a while, the studwork bedroom openings will have 826mm wide doors.

£20 doors are all he’s fitted in his own house so wasn’t bothered if he made any mistakes, that’s why he won’t be touching my doors.

sorry to sound thick but what is FB?

Regards. James