hi

antlis

Morning all,

I've got various smaller projects on the go at the moment as well as a planned extension coming up in the next year or so - not exactly sure of how much i will be doing as i have two wee ones and time is not something i have a lot of. Was hoping to do everything but might pay for the shell to be built and do the rest.

I'm a sparky by trade but have not worked on a house for a long time. Got quite a lot of experience in plumbing, mechanical and renewables and now work up wind turbines so hopefully I can offer advice as well as soaking up the info on here from all you lovely people!

ant

19 minutes ago, antlis said:

now work up wind turbines so hopefully I can offer advice

Morning! Good to have you with us.

Can I bag the first question to you please?

When wind turbines rotate on their vertical axis, why doesn't the 'flex' (?) taking the power to the grid get all twisted and tangled up - wrapped round the vertical axis?

Oh, by the way is this you really ? - come on, admit it.......

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Can I bag the first question to you please?

When wind turbines rotate on their vertical axis, why doesn't the 'flex' (?) taking the power to the grid get all twisted and tangled up - wrapped round the vertical axis?

It likely uses a slipring to transfer all the data and power etc.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Slip rings? Same as cranes and your car steering wheel.

• Like 1

As wind turbines always face into the wind and wind does not circulate there is no need for slip rings. Like tower cranes they tend to Oscillate from left to right and while a tower crane is left free to rotate when not being driven the cable rarely gets more than one or two turns in it even in very gusty conditions and over the length of the tower (sometimes secured at intermediate points) a couple of turns over the free length is nothing to worry about.

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

didnt think Wind turbines would be something I'd be talking about - good luck anyone doing a self build on one though!

The flex (it pretty much is big flex aye) actually does get twisted. While there are a few different sliprings of differing types in the turbine the cables going down the tower use a more basic system. They just hang a loop of 20 metres or so down from where it's connected up top to where it's connected in the tower. This then gives plenty slack to turn the nacelle around about 5 or 600 degrees before it needs to turn back. The cables have spacers to stop them rubbing. More basic than a slip ring but less to go wrong. The other sliprings are one that uses carbon brushes just like a motor on a power tool does on the turbine generator (just massive brushes) and then a smaller one that uses gold plated tines that slide round a gold plated track that is for the cables going into the hub (nose cone).  I think ones in car steering often use ribbons? and hyrdaulic sliprings are used too that would be similar to those used on cranes and excavators etc..

definitely had my dinner up on the roof plenty times but sun bathing opportunities are not that common in Scotland.

• Like 2