Introduction - Self building compromises

Zmarie

Hi all, my partner and I are looking to build our first house. We recognise that even when building there are things which we need to compromise on; land location, house size, design etc.

Would be interested to quickly hear from you on what you recommend to keep 'top of the list' and have as non negotiables?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

This really comes down to what’s important to you and why you want to build instead of buying something already there.

if you need 300sq metres is pretty pointless designing and building a tiny home.

if you have a small plot you will not be able to build a sprawling mansion.

who will live there? Future plans? Ages? Etc.

when it comes to the build, what will be accepted? Construction methods etc.

with costs rising insulation and efficiency need to be a real priority

• Like 1

Whilst keeping the design simple I’ve seen a few self builds that arnt in a great plot or a particular good design and could easily be bettered buying from one of the mass builders 

Lots of glass 

Home automation 

Fancy bathrooms and kitchens 

Will all come at a price 

The plot has to be the main consideration 

I hate the term forever home 

But most intend living there till there circumstances change 

Insulation is pricy but worth every penny 

Think of The size of the  home you want Then make it a big bigger 

Like insulation it’s something that’s difficult and expensive to change afterwards 

Weather you building a three bed or a five Your fees and surveys will be the same 

Exciting times 

Good luck with your choices 

• Like 3

I hate the term forever home 

lol I do too. Fine for rescue dogs, not people.

Don’t compromise on crappy design. You can build something that’s maybe a compromise on size, and always extend in the future, but something ugly is always going to be ugly. I’d rather have something I loved than a boring blob house. Design to the basic principles, (balance, rhythm, emphasis, contrast, visual, proportion and scale… add style and layout to that). Don’t design it yourself unless you’re experienced.

remember you have time to design, so don’t rush it. 

Edited by CharlieKLP
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

lol I do too. Fine for rescue dogs, not people.

Don’t compromise on crappy design. You can build something that’s maybe a compromise on size, and always extend in the future, but something ugly is always going to be ugly. I’d rather have something I loved than a boring blob house. Design to the basic principles, (balance, rhythm, emphasis, contrast, visual, proportion and scale… add style and layout to that). Don’t design it yourself unless you’re experienced.

remember you have time to design, so don’t rush it. 

easy to say, you obviously have a more tolerant planning system down there

9 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

easy to say, you obviously have a more tolerant planning system down there

Sorry if you’re having some trouble?

I’ve designed houses everywhere. Honestly the thing that makes a poor design most of the time is the clients. 

If you can find a good designer, you can work within any planning restriction to get the right design. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

Sorry if you’re having some trouble?

I’ve designed houses everywhere. Honestly the thing that makes a poor design most of the time is the clients. 

If you can find a good designer, you can work within any planning restriction to get the right design. 

nope, plot came with permission, however, as with a lot of scottish rural planning you are only allowed traditional 1.5 stories and the majority of time, white render and slated roof. i'm not complaining other than having coombed ceilings as we like traditional looking houses but there will be people who want modern design and not get it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2022 at 06:51, Zmarie said:

Hi all, my partner and I are looking to build our first house. We recognise that even when building there are things which we need to compromise on; land location, house size, design etc.

Would be interested to quickly hear from you on what you recommend to keep 'top of the list' and have as non negotiables?

Thanks!

My wife and I built our own home, the best advice I can give you is location, location, location.  We couldn't find a plot in the area we wanted, but found a great plot 1/2hr away from where we lived.  We thought just half an hour wasn't a big deal, but it turned out that we ended up feeling isolated from everyone and everything we knew, and missing out on things we wouldn't otherwise.  Yes, we were sitting in a great house in a great plot but wanting it to be back in a location we were familiar with and could nip out and easily see the people we wanted to and do the things we wanted. The extra distance from work also became a slog when we weren't enjoying where we were. We sold our 'forever home' and moved back to where we wanted to be for the location alone.

commercial link removed

• Like 1