Workshop tool wall.

zoothorn

45 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That's a sine of how clever he is...

And a sign of my lateral thinking.  I came by it at a previous employer, on a scrap truck outside a lab being cleared out.  I "borrowed" it and over a lunch break found the fault and repaired it.  Having repaired it so I knew it would work, I undid the repair and sent it off to the appropriate channel to buy it as electronic scrap.  Then as soon as I got it home I knew how to repair it.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ProDave said:

And a sign of my lateral thinking.  I came by it at a previous employer, on a scrap truck outside a lab being cleared out.  I "borrowed" it and over a lunch break found the fault and repaired it.  Having repaired it so I knew it would work, I undid the repair and sent it off to the appropriate channel to buy it as electronic scrap.  Then as soon as I got it home I knew how to repair it.

That's clever, & honourable..  it wouldn't have been borrowed at all if it was me!

Already proving a better area to work, stripped a router down to fix & all tools to hand.. no swearing & rummaging at all. Relief.

Thx zoot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Certainly makes a difference having somewhere decent to work...

IMG_20220424_142929555.thumb.jpg.629fae146593380dd56839127c528c53.jpg

Ah yes. The patio where mrs Onoff has her afternoon tea & crumpets. I shall make a wood thing today right here.

zh

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Ah yes. The patio where mrs Onoff has her afternoon tea & crumpets. I shall make a wood thing today right here.

zh

It's been a while since Mr Onoff has had afternoon crumpet...

53 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It's been a while since Mr Onoff has had afternoon crumpet...

Haha! Fab. I was leaving the door open/ I dared not venture on the crumpet joke re. mrs Onoff!

But that is a cracker.. zh.

Just now, Onoff said:

Looks a good workspace.

What's the story with that amp then, spec etc?

Hi Onoff. Its a fabulous space, ceiling in both (extention) rooms pinpoint perfect, & both rooms perfect size. 

Gone the days of monster marshalls (even twin reverbs -beasts- are 'cheap' due to inconveniently heavy). Thank god.

So: the smaller 1x 12" speaker @ 12-15w (tube) amps are sensibly the most popular. N. Young model for eg, so crank them on volume knob & you're just ok with drums ( ie amp volume just sufficient), plus once past 6.5 or so THEN the glorious overdriven tube tone emerges. 

This ^ model is most popular of all, Princeton Reverb, due to the above aspects plus its reverb & tremolo are especially rich: the 'desert island' go-to amp. The next most popular is NY's Tweed Deluxe a 50's model, I'm midway thru a build now.

If interested, youtube a 60's fender princeton reverb (or a dimed original tweed deluxe). My cabs can be heard via clips on Rift Amps site ( under 50's, 60's models).

Zooter.

• Like 1

@Onoff my biggest 'build project' of all here: bought a blown cheap ebay '78 twin reverb. Then like joe90's mg, stripped & rebuilt every part, using the better 60's circuit.

Another reason this bigass fender actually cheaper, is @ 85- 135w(insanity) you can't dime them, to dig into the natural tube overdrive like a princeton. So known as 'clean machines' jazz & country dudes love them tho (& j.marr so have their fans). Actually one person did dime his TR.. sex pistols s.jones! What a surprise! (what a glorious sound too, poor engineers & fans tho).

Zoot.

D9682C30-5EDD-4226-B74A-CED2105060EF.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Last photo showing, at least, this 1/2 of workshop complete.

T'other 1/2 a jumble of stored xyz / will come back for ideas on this later / a future thread maybe.

Thanks again- zoot.

150777F5-CFC7-4B9F-9933-32E592A39673.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

T'other 1/2 a jumble of stored xyz / will come back for ideas on this later / a future thread maybe.

you mean the other half filled with everything to had to move to make this half look tidy?  :ph34r:

Looks very good.