Starting on the path to a self-build

KernowKensa

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join the forum.

We are in the very early days of looking at a self-build. We have some land in the family that should be suitable for a self-build providing we can convince the planning authorities that it is a justified in-fill between two other properties, one of which has just gained permission to build two houses in its garden. We are aware that eco-self builds are looked on very favourably so that aligns with my aspirations as well, fingers crossed.

We are now trying to take a wide view of other peoples experiences to learn and find ideas that we would not have come upon ourselves. I have been looking through the forum over the last day or so and it has already set off many thoughts, such as basements, not being too prescriptive with the architect and be wary of too large open plan rooms etc.

I look forward to doing more digging and will be back with many silly questions I am sure!

Sorry to say in my experience, eco self builders aren’t looked on any more favourably than people who just tick the basic planning boxes. 

Great attitude with the architect/designer though. You need to be just prescriptive enough that you get what you want, but enough to let them design you something good. I’d suggest a few images of Pinterest, a list of things you like/dislike, and a clear driving force for your build. ‘Eco’ is a good one, architects love to design to that creatively and blog about it endlessly, but they will spend your money.

16 hours ago, KernowKensa said:

and will be back with many silly questions I am sure!

Welcome to THE forum for self builds. There is no such thing as a silly question, silly is not asking in the first place. We have all “been there, done that “ so you will get real world experiences. Planners can be really awkward but you can always go to appeal which I did (myself) and found it easier than dealing with planners!!   I look forward to your questions and plans for the future.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome.

Which bit of Kernow are you to?

When it comes to planning, onen hag oll, does not apply.

Decide what you mean by 'Eco', my house is not eco, but it is relatively low energy, both embedded and running costs.

Brought up near Mevagissey but family from Falmouth area. I will be returning from some years 'up country' I hope.

Welcome, be wary of the 'eco' label, ask yourself what does it even mean? 

Lots of 'green wash' technology out there that has questionable payback (or physics) - fundamentals are to be well insulated, airtight and minimise heating and cooling requirements.

Any new building of any design (from contemporary white box to stone clad cottage) can be designed and built to be energy efficient and comfortable to live in.

Whether you build it from sustainable materials is a separate matter  - you could argue that importing highly efficient triple glazed windows from Austria is less 'eco friendly' than less efficient units that are made locally. Straw bales vs ICF?

Planners care lots about what it looks like, how big it is, where it is and crucially how it complies with local plans etc.

They care little if it's made of chewed newspaper or concrete, can be heated with a 50W lightbulb or a blast furnace.

Building regs will want to you meet the modest requirements around efficiency (plus a host of other factors).

Keep asking questions though when you have specific ideas to explore. We build a basement and it worked well for us.

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Ah  Smellyfishy.

Some nice places around Falmouth. Spent way to much time up the Helford Passage.

Where up country you been?

Now around Leamington Spa but would love to have a property along the Helford, unfortunately so do lots of others!