Reynaers vs Lumis - Alu vs Alu-Clad...

Mulberry View

We're just starting to drill down on Window suppliers. Our Architect spec'd Alu-Clad, but we're still divided on the subject.

We have Reynaers standing out at our favourite Aluminium solution, their SL68 profile and a Hi-Finity Sliding Door for our Kitchen/Dining Room, they while proposal meets a U-Value of 1.1 as an average, though some individual items are as much as 1.5.

We have Lumis as an Alu-Clad option, with Oak internally. We will probably still have the Hi-Finity Sliding Door with this option as the sight-lines are important in that position. We are awaiting costs and U-Values, but we know it'll be a little more expensive than the Reyaners quote.

Anyone got anything to say about either of these? We can find plenty about Reynaers, but not much about Lumis...

If it’s a new build not an extension then you want the best you can get. I would say those u values are poor, and are more what I would have in an extension to a poor house, not a new build to a high spec. 
don’t overthink this sight line mumbo  jumbo. 
I spent ages making dummy frames to check all the mullions would line up, the windows we chose upstairs are a lot thinner than the door down stairs. Do we notice it ,nope not one bit. Was a waste of months of time worrying about how thin the frames where going to be. 
in the end we went with enormous fat ally clad, but they have a brilliant u value and terrific air tightness.  I think it was the better choice. 

• Like 1

I guess it depends somewhat on the overall construction of the entire house, and, whether it "warrants" crazy low U value glazing thoughout. Reynaers are a pretty good tried and tested quality system that stands up to many, although if you want timber internally, then they aren't the choice of course.

On the sliding door thing and sightlines, I agree with the above from RG in that for the additional 20 / 30mm of width reduction, it is worth the hassle / cost. Reynaers Hi-finity V CP130 / 155 sliders isn't gaining "that much" and in a way, loses in terms of an overall robust interlock too I'd say. The current trend for ultra thin sightlines escapes me a little I have to admit.

As with many things, you pays your money and....

53 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

I guess it depends somewhat on the overall construction of the entire house, and, whether it "warrants"

not necessarily, it also depends upon how close you will sit to the windows. a poor u value window/door will be/feel a cold area whereas a better specced one will be more comfortable.

1 hour ago, Simplysimon said:

not necessarily, it also depends upon how close you will sit to the windows. a poor u value window/door will be/feel a cold area whereas a better specced one will be more comfortable.

It will sure, but for what the OP is suggesting as potential choices, I don't see it being a cold experience sitting near them.

Thanks for your help everyone. It's a new build and one where we're aiming for a fabric first approach. We don't have a wild budget, around £1800/m2 (I'll speak of that on a separate topic as that is a confusing subject in its own right!). This is to be a Nudura ICF build and one we intend to be our forever home.

We do absolutely see the logic of Alu-Clad and I accept the point about the minimal sight-lines. You're right @Russell griffiths, we are probably getting a bit caught up in it all. We were won over by Ultralines Sliding Doors on display at the Self-Build Centre in Swindon.

So, anyone got anything to add about Lumis Windows? Any other good quality Alu-Clad systems to look at? We've had quotes from Norrsken and IdealCombi already.