Are any energy companies taking on new customers?

We're currently on Ovo's Better Energy plan, but that's due to come to an end next month when we'll move to their variable tariff; Simpler Energy. Which is incredibly bad timing...

The comparison sites don't suggest any companies are currently taking on new business - does anyone know if any of the independents currently are?

Sticking with OVO is likely to bump our bill by > £100 next month!

6 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Sticking with OVO is likely to bump our bill by > £100 next month!

Your new rate will be the capped rate.  ALL suppliers are applying the same cap (there might be small variations in unit / standing charge rates but the result will be the average user will pay exactly the same) so even if another supplier would take you, it won't be cheaper.  So sit tight is probably the best advice and indeed what the likes of Martin Lewis is saying.

It is a big shock affecting just about everybody, and nothing we can do about it.

Some managed to secure a new fixed rate with their supplier before the cap went up on 1st April but that only delays the inevitable. 

• Sad 1

I tried to get an anonymous price from Octopus the other day, but their website took me to a page where they said they were no longer signing up customers in my area.

I suppose that if you're losing money with every customer, there's no incentive to take on any new ones!

3 minutes ago, jack said:

I suppose that if you're losing money with every customer, there's no incentive to take on any new ones!

It shows how badly thought out deregulating the market was.

I suspect at least one large supplier will go into public ownership.

On 03/04/2022 at 11:35, ProDave said:

ALL suppliers are applying the same cap

Unless you're on an exempt green tariff which is not capped. We're on such a tariff which is now become incredibly painful abnd way above the capped rate. I've looked at alternative suppliers and it seems to be a case of phoning around and speaking to the companies as they won't quote online.