Quotes for over system

bobberjob

Hi all

just had a quote for a pv system with battery backup. 24 x 375 W panels and two batteries. All fitted and turnkey by Go-Energy

£14750 + VAT with maybe some shaving to be done. £600 if I want to be part of selling any surplus back to the grid.

i know it can be done cheaper DIY but it’s not for me.

anyone had a quote from any contractors for anything similar?

What size batteries?

with the battery backup I doubt you’d be selling anything to the grid, certainly wouldn’t make back the £600 any time soon! 
I was quoted £4500inc vat for 4kW panels, no batteries flat roof mounted. £1250/kW

yours is coming in at around £1600+vat/kW but includes the batteries. Guess that sounds about right or mb a bit expensive?

22 minutes ago, bobberjob said:

Batteries look to be Pylon Technolgies

perlight duo mono black panels

roof mounted on racks

Pylontech do 2.4 and 3.5kWh batteries. And you don’t say if it’s a hybrid inverter or an AC coupled system. Nor make/model of inverter.

either way and making assumptions £14.5k seems a lot for the 10 panels, 2 x pylontech batteries and a hybrid inverter

check online prices and compare with what’s on your quote. 

We had PV in the planning for our first build Both my wife and myself hate the site of PV panels So decided to ignore and not install 

Projected cost 11k 

Annual saving £200-300 

30 years payback 

Am I missing something 

We have omitted PV from our next two  after speaking to our Sap guy and Architect Sap guy said PV will move you up 2 points 

Both said if you are looking at a financial return don’t bother 

Cost of PV seems to be 6-10p per kWh over its life. Cost from the grid is now 30p and will likely reach 40p by the autumn. Obviously paying up front for 20 years of electricity carries risk but it looks like annual returns in the 15pc range currently. All based on UK numbers.

A quick look at current prices at ITS Technology (where I got my kit).

A 12 panel kit (including everything for the kit to work incl mounts) is around £3500 (X2 for 24), 4.8kWh battery kit, £2400, so under £9500 incl vat.  Plus install. (That includes 2x complete systems, some of which could be deleted)

So they are charging you around £6-7k to install, which should be say 3 men for a day.  £2k per man day, expensive.

Unless there are some DNO charges for a big array, you have not shown.

I don’t know that’s fair. Scaffold and access costs could easily be £1k.

Running a company and providing a warranty costs money. For example the numerous regulatory schemes and bodies that will need paying, presales people, MCS administration, and of course all the usual overheads as well as those specific to solar contracts such as the 3rd party transaction insurance etc.

Edited by J1mbo
  • Like 1

We are off mains gas so very high consumption of electricity 13000 kWh

Even taking a loan payback would be less than five years and still be cheaper than our electric bill. Most of it for space heating and laundry in a small business

in the summer excess units returned to grid at 5.5p could be worth about £3 per day

why am I hesitating??

don’t know the contractor

don't know the system

don’t have £16000 quid lying idle in the bank

etc etc

i appreciate on costs for running a company so was just looking for some typical costs as a guide

may look at a ground array and see if it would be cheaper?

thanks for the replies very helpful

All you can do really is get another quote and compare. A system using micro-inverters will be more expensive, for example, than one using a single hybrid inverter (a box that connects the solar panels and the batteries).

It's better to use the power than export, since export at 5.5p is below your cost. A challenge with a 24-panel array could be using it all in the summer. If you have/are looking to an EV then that might not be so difficult. Otherwise we are stuck with batteries (as specified) and then heating stored hot water. What is your daily demand, May to August?

Do you have an ASHP? If you're heating with electric that might be a better investment (would reduce heating costs by 2/3rds). Solar and ASHP are great together but obviously a lot of money to find.

If you want to use the system to provide backup power, bear in mind that it won't be able to support everything. Usually a separate consumer unit is provided for 'emergency' maintained circuits (e.g. lights). There could be quite a bit of extra electrical work required too, for example a ground spike and various relays if the inverter doesn't deal with the latter.

Edited by J1mbo

+1 to getting more quotes! I always try and get 3 quotes minimum to get a good comparison.

I do think your quote is a little on the high side but, as is mentioned, if you need to pay for scaffolding then that can add a substantial amount.

At 9kw its quite a substantial system needing a G99 application. Our DNO charges £250+vat just to look at an application. Installers have got their admin and drawing to add to that.

If 24 x panels are split over 2 pitches then scaffolding cost could be a fair bit.

Assuming youve got a material schedule to go with the quote youll easily be able to work out material cost from online sellers.

Our DNO told me a couple of weeks ago that they had received loads of G99 applications recently suggesting the trade is busy. If thats the case its likely a sellers market and you could be paying a premium just now.  May be worth waiting til the autumn/winter when everyones forgotten about solar??