External Wall Spray Insulation

Monty

Hi,

Interested to get views on external wall insulation spray coatings such as "Properla".

Through some research it seems as though the benefits are quite well proven for increasing thermal efficiency on already rendered cavity walls, the hydrophobic properties ensuring the water content of the walls is kept to a minimum removing any thermal bridge reducing the insulating properties of the building.

Have been quoted ~£9k for a 160m2 house, just wondering if anyone has any experience of competitive costs for this as there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of contractors providing this out there!

Thanks.

Call me suspicious but... Is Properla actually an insulation or just a waterproof coating intended to stop water penetrating defective render thereby reducing its insulating properties (which arent exactly spectacular even when dry)? 

£9k seems a lot for waterproof paint. Perhaps I mussunderstand. Got any links?

Edited by Temp

On 15/03/2022 at 19:44, Temp said:

Call me suspicious but... Is Properla actually an insulation or just a waterproof coating intended to stop water penetrating defective render thereby reducing its insulating properties (which arent exactly spectacular even when dry)? 

£9k seems a lot for waterproof paint. Perhaps I mussunderstand. Got any links?

Hi - This is the stuff here;

https://www.properla.co.uk/properla-masonry-creme/

In total the quoted work was for cleaning the whole house down, repairing a few cracks etc then a couple of coats of Properla.

I only really have a guage for rendering costs which this is about 1.5x the cost of. Not really sure if it is as "premium" a product as advertised or no different to your typical waterproof paint like you say!

The product looks like the silane / siloxane stuff also branded as Stormguard.  The only way it adds to insulatiion  is by potentially reducing the moisture content in the brickwork.  I doubt the product would cost more than £1,000 for your house.