4m Aluminium Sliding Doors

SBMS

We have two sets of 4m aluminium sliding doors to put in on our self build in the kitchen diner. We are really struggling to decide between a double track 2 pane or a triple track 3 pane. 

Have any members got photos of this size aperture (or similar) in a double or triple pane configuration to help us decide?? Tried to find pictures online but lots are stock pictures that are actually of 5m or 6m

openkngs!

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

What size steel and deflection limit have you specced above them ..?

I’d have to check the SE drawings but there’s nothing above them as they’re on a mono pitch single story. Should I be worried??

Edited by SBMS

18 minutes ago, SBMS said:

@BuzzWhich system/manufacturer did you go for? 

Used a local supplier for all our windows and doors they are not one of the branded names that get mentioned a lot on here but we are happy with them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SBMS said:

From memory I think the SE specified lintels over the doors. 

So they will be extreme duty lintels a minimum of 4400 long - what have you budgeted for as they are around £1100 each and are on silly lead times some areas of the country. They also need big padstones and propping when they are being bricked over prior to loading as they can twist.

I would check your contractor knows these are coming, and I would get them ordered ASAP and have them on site early as they could screw up your whole build plan otherwise. 

24 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So they will be extreme duty lintels a minimum of 4400 long - what have you budgeted for as they are around £1100 each and are on silly lead times some areas of the country. They also need big padstones and propping when they are being bricked over prior to loading as they can twist.

I would check your contractor knows these are coming, and I would get them ordered ASAP and have them on site early as they could screw up your whole build plan otherwise. 

Thanks @PeterW they’ve specified catnic cx90/100 extra heavy duty lintels. Do these look correct?? Thanks for heads up I’ll check with builder although they do seem in stock - quick check online and they’re about 500 a piece? https://uklintels.com/product/sl90cxhd225/?utm_term=catnic cx90%2F100&utm_campaign=PCSG+-+Catnic&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=1601644247&hsa_cam=12356723011&hsa_grp=117409339586&hsa_ad=524500019455&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-1233399683988&hsa_kw=catnic cx90%2F100&hsa_mt=p&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoP6wkdnC9gIVRrDtCh1Psg6REAAYAiAAEgI-ivD_BwE

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If he’s happy with XHD then fine - extreme duty are sometimes specced for large openings and make sure you have the space for the minimum brickwork above the lintel as that is sometimes missed. 

Thanks Peter. I’ll double check with builder. We increased cavity to 150 actually so will probably need the 150/100 which is twice the cost!

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If he’s happy with XHD then fine - extreme duty are sometimes specced for large openings and make sure you have the space for the minimum brickwork above the lintel as that is sometimes missed. 

How many courses of brickwork are needed above the lintel usually?

20 minutes ago, SBMS said:

How many courses of brickwork are needed above the lintel usually?

It is in the lintel spec but the blockwork at the back is usually a minimum of 300mm prior to any wall plate or loads. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, richie9648 said:

Completely unrelated to this - what did you use to close off the cavities ? 

I’d be interested to know how this is done when you’re having blown in insulation? I imagine it’s shuttered off whilst insulation is blown in or do they blow it in after windows and doors are in??

• 3 weeks later...

I can show you pictures of both, we have 2 sets originally fitted as 3 panes (but they were mis measured) now fitted as 2. The 3 panes are for for sale if you are interested? The 3 panes are 4.1m x 2.4 (approx)

1A6793D9-BC89-4CAC-BEF4-37CBE772566C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...