Electric Boiler with Underfloor heating costing a fortune

Richvet

15 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I appreciate that, just that your usage does not seem excessive, on a kWh/m2 floor area metric, it is a lot less than mine (my place is 50m2, and terraced).

Could you put in a thermal store and charge it at night?  It will be heavy, and large, but a possibility.

Sorry I made a sill mistake. The numbers I quoted are in Pounds! Not the units. That’s my cost over 41 days. 

7 hours ago, Temp said:

Check the meter number on the bill is the same as the number writren on the meter.

Yes that’s fine. It was a new digital meter installed during refurb. They upgraded the supply to cope with the demand of the new Electric boiler

15 hours ago, RobLe said:

As ST says, that seems a lot less than expected, a total of 774kWh over 41 days, merely 18.9kWh/day.  Is that right?  It really isn't that much after all - if the figs are correct then your insulation is great, or the place is freezing!  Are they definitely right?

Even at 33p/kWh and assuming the same use 365 days of the year, a massive overestimate, that's still "only" 18.9*0.33*365 = £2280.

Do you have any other kWh figures - eg. yearly kWh consumption?  

I'm confused!

Sorry as per my other reply. What I quoted was the actual cost in pounds over 41 days. I wrote them down after working it out but didn’t state what they were.

15 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I appreciate that, just that your usage does not seem excessive, on a kWh/m2 floor area metric, it is a lot less than mine (my place is 50m2, and terraced).

Could you put in a thermal store and charge it at night?  It will be heavy, and large, but a possibility.

Sorry my mistake I quoted the actual cost of daytime and nighttime units in pounds

6 minutes ago, Richvet said:

The numbers I quoted are in Pounds! Not the units

Get insulating.

You may be better off with a single rate tariff.

Hunt around and see what is available, your night rate is doing nothing for you, except crippling your day rate.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RobLe said:

As ST says, that seems a lot less than expected, a total of 774kWh over 41 days, merely 18.9kWh/day.  Is that right?  It really isn't that much after all - if the figs are correct then your insulation is great, or the place is freezing!  Are they definitely right?

Even at 33p/kWh and assuming the same use 365 days of the year, a massive overestimate, that's still "only" 18.9*0.33*365 = £2280.

Do you have any other kWh figures - eg. yearly kWh consumption?  

I'm confused!

Sorry those figures are cost in pounds not units of electric 

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Get insulating.

You may be better off with a single rate tariff.

Hunt around and see what is available, your night rate is doing nothing for you, except crippling your day rate.

The funny thing about that is when I spoke with Bulb and told them I was alarmed at the cost, they ran a calculator their end and said if they charged me the daytime only rate I’d be worse off. So I’m going to check that, as I agree that doesn’t make sense 

3 minutes ago, Richvet said:

The funny thing about that is when I spoke with Bulb and told them I was alarmed at the cost, they ran a calculator their end and said if they charged me the daytime only rate I’d be worse off. So I’m going to check that, as I agree that doesn’t make sense 

Get the unit readings off the meter, then it is simple to check.

Have you spoken to any neighbours yet, you may all find you are in the same boat and all want to do something about it.

Based on your info I reckon you're using about 75kWh per day. It's highish but not huge. We're using 37-38kWh per day in our passive house. All direct electric heating too.  

Find your meter and start taking some readings if you are not already. Put them in a table for a week or two and you'll have an idea excellent idea of your usage. 

Take the opportunity once you're familiar with the meter to do a test to make sure you have no very large unknown background draw somewhere. Take a reading in the morning. Switch off all the electrical items +boiler at the wall socket/spur and go out for the day. Take a reading when you get home. There should be no increase. 

If there is usage you'll know there is a wiring fault or the neighbours have tapped into your supply. 

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Based on your info I reckon you're using about 75kWh per day. It's highish but not huge. We're using 37-38kWh per day in our passive house. All direct electric heating too.  

Find your meter and start taking some readings if you are not already. Put them in a table for a week or two and you'll have an idea excellent idea of your usage. 

Take the opportunity once you're familiar with the meter to do a test to make sure you have no very large unknown background draw somewhere. Take a reading in the morning. Switch off all the electrical items +boiler at the wall socket/spur and go out for the day. Take a reading when you get home. There should be no increase. 

If there is usage you'll know there is a wiring fault or the neighbours have tapped into your supply. 

Good luck. 

I just went through all of my readings see attached. And perhaps I have exaggerated the cost a little based on what Bulb are currently charging me (£675.00 per month). In coldest winter months my usage is going over 80Kwh per day, but averages down to 59Kwh per day. But with the prices going up by a third on April 1st I will still hit north of £6k per annum, so worth investigating all of the suggestions re insulation and day/night rates etc

abakakaka.PNG

• 2 months later...

This is a completely out of the box idea and may not work because of damp or cost . But here goes.  Get a plasterer to fix 60mm   PIR plasterboard to as many of the cold walls as possible, skim over with plaster and redecorate. I'm sure someone will tell me if it is impractical. 

1 hour ago, Tonie said:

This is a completely out of the box idea and may not work because of damp or cost . But here goes.  Get a plasterer to fix 60mm   PIR plasterboard to as many of the cold walls as possible, skim over with plaster and redecorate. I'm sure someone will tell me if it is impractical. 

IWI ( internal wall insulation ) is a great idea, and a vast improvement on the previous post!! 🙄

@Richvet, any update?