Quote for plumbing supplies without itemised prices

faby

Hi, just wanted to draw on your collective wisdom and experience.

My plumber has arranged a quote from a building merchant to supply drainage pipes and other plumbing materials. There is a lot of work and about 50 items are listed on the quote, with the quantity of each item also listed. There is no pricing except for a total price given of 2.2K plus VAT. I've been asked to call up and pay this. I called the BM to ask if the cost of each item could be listed so I could check it was competitive and they said they don't do that. Many of the items just have a generic description e.g "50mm branch 92' black". When I asked what brand that would be they said it would be coming straight from their suppliers so would be whatever they had in stock.  Just wondering if this is a common experience?

Grateful for any thoughts.

50 items at £2.2k exc is £44 per item. With a 50mm black 92.5° push fit branch costing £3.20, unless there is a very nice unvented cylinder in there I would say you’re being taken for a ride … 

2 hours ago, faby said:

they said they don't do that.

This sort of thing really get's my hackles up. Tell them that they might not do it, but if they expect your business they had better start. 2.2k is a lot of money to lose for a simple itemised invoice, so if they refuse to do it they are clearly taking the pi$$

Edited by Tom

Thanks so much for the comments everyone. Apparently the quote is higher because he is using better quality Italian fittings called Valsir. I'm concerned this might cause issues in the future if repairs are needed. The pipework is going to be buried under screed so perhaps this doesn't matter?

Impossible to say / judge until the entire list is posted up to be fair.

if there is any copper / brass / 110mm stuff on there the bill will shoot up at an alarming rate of knots.

The merchants are completely correct in not disclosing prices / further detail etc, as I assume the contractor is the client in that respect. If you want such clarity on anything, don’t ask us, ask your contractor ;). It is normal to see between 10 - 15% on top of list which you are paying for, to cover what the contractor would lose when not working whilst compiling these lists / discussing things with you, so beware cutting all of the meat from the bone as you’ll just end up with nobody wanting to work for you. Where your chap appears to have gone wrong is not explaining this relationship to you in detail before proceeding to request that you  pay these orders.

I arrived at site the other day with two ‘not huge’ sacks of brassware and copper fittings. Client was amazed that when I showed him the invoice it was north of £500!!!

If the relationship is for you to supply, then ask your chap for a comprehensive list and expect to slow him down and annoy him when he’s short of something or you’ve inadvertently picked up the wrong item etc, and to be billed for that downtime. Most will also ask for 10% on top of your invoices as they would get that working elsewhere and you may be removing that from their expected income.

If you were happy with quotes where is the issue? Have they gone way over? 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, faby said:

Thanks so much for the comments everyone. Apparently the quote is higher because he is using better quality Italian fittings called Valsir. I'm concerned this might cause issues in the future if repairs are needed. The pipework is going to be buried under screed so perhaps this doesn't matter?

Is it all blue ..??? If so it is Acoustic pipe which is pointless in a slab but does marginally improve things above ground and in ceilings etc however you can use acoustic insulation (which you should in ceiling voids) so it’s marginal. 

And what’s the spec ..?? As if you didn’t have it on the spec you should have been consulted 

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all your responses. The quote is labour only, and I am supposed to supply the materials. Just wanted to update to let you know that in the end I felt it was a case of put up or shut up and so I paid the invoice. I have too many plates spinning to start looking for another plumber!  I think Nick is right, the problem is that the plumber never explained how these things work to me at all. He just told me to call them and pay up. I have no problem with him adding 10 to 15% to the list price, I realise that there are hidden costs incurred. He is laying the pipework so I obviously want him to have whatever materials he is familiar with and thinks are needed for the job.

Anyway, on to the next drama..!

On 03/03/2022 at 07:32, faby said:

If your burying it under screed i'd personally use good quality fittings and pipe like Osma or Marley rather than cheap screwfix Flowplast stuff.