Hi, introduction.

janette

Hi everyone, we’re (50’s couple + 3 large dogs) starting our build at mid year. I’m losing hope of finding somewhere to rent because of the dogs so I’m scoping out a static caravan on site. I’ve no idea where to start or whether to hire or buy. I’ve seen buy-back guarantees but what do others do?  I couldn’t figure out the right section to ask this question but hopefully someone will point me in the right direction. Thanks. 

Always static caravans to buy as they are taken off camp sites. Or a porta cabin and fit out to suit yourselves. Renting a caravan would be a premium and you will probably need it for2 or 3 times longer than you anticipate

• Thanks 1

There WILL be caravan dealers somewhere near you that sell used static caravans and self builders will be a large part of their market particularly for older ones.  And they usually have the vehicles to transport them or have a connection to a company that does.

£5K should get you something decent, you can get them for a lot less than that even, only you can decide what age / condition you want and how much you are prepared to pay for it.

Sell it at the end of the build, or do as we did, plan from the start for it to remain as a big garden building, much cheaper than it would have cost to build a shed that size, and it did us 18 months of accommodation first.

• Thanks 1

Exactly what @ProDave said - we got ours for a steal from a local caravan park that was offloading older models. They had a guy who did their moves and they installed it for us in garden. Then bought it back off us at the end of the build.

We lived in it for 18 months, two kids and a cat. Was a bit chilly in winter, hot in summer but we saved a packet.

So as well as dealers, find your nearest caravan parks and ask them if they have vans to get rid of or if they can recommend dealers or transporters.

• Thanks 1

We saw some incredibly cheap ex caravan park, but they were distinctly shabby and needed a lot of work. The nicer ones are quite expensive but should retain their value. the transport cost can be very high so ask early, then you have to consider access for something with apologies for wheels.

Road-going caravans are more expensive. I suggest £10- £12k for a couple, and hope to get a lump of that back later. allow for high winter heating cost.

Welcome.

Buy one.

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

We saw some incredibly cheap ex caravan park, but they were distinctly shabby and needed a lot of work.

They all need work.

Improved insulation, airtightness and proper ventilation.

And then you can work on a half decent heating system.  A2AHP would be my choice.  Could even fit it in with a a ventilation system.