Procrastination Nation...

We've just had our initial Tech Drawing package from our Architect. Our understanding is that this should enable us to engage primary suppliers and provide a window of opportunity to tweak elements of the design according to specific systems before the final Technical package is supplied and a full Building Regs application is put forward.

So, with this in mind, what should we be considering at this stage? We're engaging with ICF Suppliers (though Nudura are very likely), Window/Door companies, Metal Roofing.

We're also expecting output from our Structural Engineer soon, so I guess we can make progress with Pozi Joists, Foundation design, Concrete requirements etc.

Anything else we should be thinking about at this stage? Very keen to move forward in earnest in the Spring, but time is slipping away. As keen as I am to get cracking with the physical stuff, I feel as though I'm procrastinating a little.

Mulberry_View_01.thumb.jpg.08dea3b452a721dca5c666d28e9042df.jpg

6 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Sounds like you're making progress. How come?

I feel like I'm stuck in the 'middle ground'. I am conscious that we need to finalise the finer details before we instruct the full tech drawings to avoid costly changes later, but not sure how far we should be going with that and how much we can deal with as it arises.

We have a slightly awkward relationship with our Architect, we're not totally aligned in our methods. It transpires that she's more used to full managed builds, we're at the other end of the spectrum. Hence we're rather fumbling our way through this.

Now we're looking to have avoided a Winter 'kick off', I want to really make the most of that and not waste any more time.

A SE foundation design is pretty crucial

This won’t be as long winded as the Architects design process 

He will design the foundations steels and check if your Architects design is workable 

This will enable you to get BB quotes If your going that route Also floor joists and roof quotes will want this 

If your not doing the foundation brickwork 

This will also allow you to get bricklaying quotes and quantify trench blocks etc 

17 minutes ago, gravelrash said:

I'd get a roof qoute first...I am having a nightmare with roofing qoutes...twice as much as shell cost in one case. I would advise anyone to go pitched planning will allow.

They will ask for SE. Drawing

Same with both floors 

1 hour ago, nod said:

They will ask for SE. Drawing

Same with both floors 

they will still qoute on roof build up above roof joists...better finding  out early if its killing your budget and before spending money on se and then changing design. I budgeted £20000 for roof before starting which at the time was more than enough, now a pitched roof would have been much cheaper had planning allowed and I could have done much of the roof myself.  Covid seems to have brought the worst out in companies with regard to greed. I get the feeling they are stealing were they can.

Edited by gravelrash

7 hours ago, Mulberry View said:

I feel like I'm stuck in the 'middle ground'. I am conscious that we need to finalise the finer details before we instruct the full tech drawings to avoid costly changes later, but not sure how far we should be going with that and how much we can deal with as it arises.

We have a slightly awkward relationship with our Architect, we're not totally aligned in our methods. It transpires that she's more used to full managed builds, we're at the other end of the spectrum. Hence we're rather fumbling our way through this.

Now we're looking to have avoided a Winter 'kick off', I want to really make the most of that and not waste any more time.

As @nod suggests, I'd wait for the Structural Design first because you'll need to know if this requires any design revisions. I found it's also important in that it helps to hang the build together so you know more about how it's going to be built.

I know there have been plenty of times I've felt overwhelmed with the number of things I've got to detail, make decisions on and finalise, but often it can be helpful to try and break things down a bit and then deal with one thing at a time only. Are you able to put together a list of what you need to do and by when for the full technical drawings and which decisions are actually down to you and not the architect, SE etc?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nod said:

SE £650 

Foundation design 

upper floor roof steels 

pretty cheap on the grand scheme of things 

Tee and ground calcs 

That pays for one beam design. 

For that sort of fee you are not going to get a site visit, anything other than basic calculations, any suggestions, or any follow up.