Can anyone tell me….

CotswoldDoItUpper

I have a plug socket that hasn’t worked since we moved in (6months or so) I assume it’s a dodgy socket so today replaced it. When testing the cables I notice that my electrical screwdriver has a strong light when touched to the live cable, but also a weak light when touched to the neutral and earth. I think this is why the socket isn’t working! No switches have tripped on our (admittedly 1990s) fuse board. 

any recommendations for a solution?

thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

56 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

any recommendations for a solution?

If you are not competent around electrics, call an electrician.

A neon screwdriver, while useful, is NOT an approved electrical test instrument.

the fact it glows dimly when touching the N or E suggests those are likely to be floating and not connected.  Be VERY careful, although this socket is not working it looks like it is capable of giving you a nasty shock or killing you.

The fact you have the other cable stuffed in the back box unconnected puts a lot of doubt into the integrity of the whole installation.

What are your plans?  Rewire?  Just repair and patch up what is there?  I suspect you are going to want an electrician on board for your project so you might as well find one now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

the fact it glows dimly when touching the N or E suggests those are likely to be floating and not connected.  Be VERY careful, although this socket is not working it looks like it is capable of giving you a nasty shock or killing you.

+1

What's the other wire in the wall?  On a ring you would expect to see two cables (two live, two neutral, two earths) going to the socket. But perhaps this is a spur and that other wire is something else? 

The other cable is a single socket about half a m away that is connected to this one. So yes @Temp those are the additional wires in the back box. The reason they are disconnected is just me trying to isolate the problem. 

I haven’t yet been killed in 15+ years of changing plug sockets/light switches but thank you, I shall continue to be careful and have turned the RCD back off after taking the pictures. 

I assumed it would be a job for an electrician, but thought it prudent to check with the vast knowledge on here before I spend hard earned £! 

Thanks all!

17 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

so it's a spur off a spur? Where is this one powered from then?

No earth sleeving where you come from?

It appears that way yes. 

I don’t think the guy who wired it in (I guess) the mid-late 80s had earthing sleeve no. No sign of it on any of the outlets anywhere in the house!