Electric instant hot water heater in garage

MrH

Hi,

Does anyone know of an electric tankless hot water heater that has automatic frost protection ?

Here’s some background of what I’d like to achieve.

We only have a cold water feed to the detached garage we’ve built, but would like to have occasional hot/warm water for washing hands, brushes etc. We only have an electric supply in the garage, but the garage does have it’s own consumer unit, which is supplied with 45A cable, so more than enough for an electric water heater.

An electric tankless hot water heater would be perfect for what we need, but I can’t find one that has automatic frost protection, even though it would seem a simple feature to add … simply turn on the heating element for a short while if temperature drops too low.

I can see there are propane hot water heaters which do have frost protection, but I’m not keen on having a propane cylinder in the garage.

My plan B option is of course the trusty old electric kettle !! … but this is not as convenient as hot water at a tap … but it would do if there really isn’t anything available.

Would very much appreciate it if anyone on this forum has come across such a water heater.

Paul

A tankless / instant water heater needs water flowing before it can turn on the heating element or the small amount of water in the tank will quickly boil.

You might be able to implement something yourself with a low power heater in or under the heater operated by a frost thermostat? or even some trace heating tape?

ProDave, ToughButterCup and dpmiller, thank you so much for your advice … it is much appreciated and seems to confirm there isn’t anything on the market that does the job.

ProDave, I rather like by your suggestion of adding a small heater on a frost detection circuit around a tankless hot water heater. I’m also thinking that if I insulate the water heater, then together with the frost protection heater, then it shouldn’t consume much power to prevent the water from freezing. I’d probably also put some heat tracing tape around the short run of pipework where it rises from the garage floor, although I have kept it in 28mm HDPE pipe to provide better frost protection and it is of course insulated.