Turning circle issues

Hi all

We're trying to decide on whether to purchase a plot, and are having difficulty understanding how to design a drieway with a view to turning around. The plot is at the end of a cul de sac so this is a requirement as there's no easy place to reverse out of the drive and turn within about 100 metres. How big a space should we allow for turning as the plot is approximately 12m wide and we'd like a garage. 

Any thoughts/examples/experiences would be welcome

Thanks

David

Your Local Planning Authority may well have a policy and a Guidance document. 

Look on their website or phone up planning and ask for a steer as to their parking and turning requirements.

For background you want a document called the Manual for Streets, which is available online, I think that is the latest, and reading through will give you much background about layout etc.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

There's one of those turntables just down the road from me.  It was mandated by the standard highways condition they seem to stick on every application around here, saying that vehicles must be able to drive off and on to the highway in forward gear. 

A hammer head drive (which is what we've done, as in the link from Dave above) seems to be the standard solution where there's space, but the majority of the time it seems that in practice the turning area is used as a parking area, defeating the point of the planning condition!

Edited by JSHarris

I was always amazed how much those turntables cost - £15k for what is effectively two steel rings, some castors and a small motor !! I agree with what you say about hammerheads becoming parking spaces - most houses having at least 2 cars now mean that it becomes a necessity.

We had the standard condition about turning, I think because there is no speed limit on our road.  The fact it only serves 8 houses and has very little traffic does not seem to enter the equation.

We can turn on our own land, but never do, we just reverse out onto the road. The planning condition says you must be able to turn, not that you WILL turn before exiting.

We were actually considering a turntable, but were worried about maintenance more than the initial outlay. 

Looking t the diagram it means that there's an awful lot of front garden which we'd never use, nd it just seems like a waste. I think we'll have to think about this a bit more, and try and find the local planning guidance.

Thanks for the opinions

Those turntables can't be that expensive to fabricate - got any decent engineering shops near you ..??

If you think of it as a disc running on castors around a centre pivot then it is a pretty simple construct. If you make the lower run from concrete too then it's even simpler.  

Where is @Onoff when you need him ......

You could turn part of your turning head into semi-lawn, using something like this:

http://www.grassform.co.uk/buy/heavy-medium-duty-mesh/

As for the non-used space, what about turning it into a front sitting / BBQ etc area by the front fence, which in a cul-de-sac would provide a good "intermediate" area for having a chat with the neighbours etc or for the childen or teenagers to hang out where they can be semi-private but also semi-supervised.

One approach stolen from the "Pattern Language" people ("Half-Hidden Garden") would be to have a slightly raised area (also good for putting rubble to avoid paying to have it taken) so that a (say) 5ft fence / hedge /  wall would be 1-1.2m from the inside but perhaps 1.5m from the roadside, so sitters are private but standers can chat. Or make it perforated in places.

A good strategy for making the public / private divide less stark and your cul-de-sac more sociable without sacrficing your privacy.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand