How mobile is PV?

CotswoldDoItUpper

Ok so we will probably be in our house for 2-3 years, and want to offset our high electricity usage with some PV. There will be no need to export as we would happily use all generated on the size of kit allowable by the DNO.

question is, so that it’s worthwhile to us, can we take them with us to our next house? If not, we may as well just stick with our current bills and invest when we move.

I expect we’d have a ground mount system as the box hates to look of them and we’d hide them in a sunny spot somewhere in the garden.

Yes.  Easiest way is buy the kit and install it yourself and just get an electrician to connect it if not sure.  then you can take it all with you and re install.

You have to notify the DNO and would have to notify the DNO at the new house.  I assume there might also be a mechanism to notify them that you have decommissioned it at the old address.

I don’t see why you could not take them with you, simply specified in the sale documents, you can do this with plants!. You may find your buyer willing to pay for them so you can but new ones at your next property. Even if you take them a selling point would be the wiring is in place for PV for the new owner if they wish to use it.

It’ll be either ground mounted, or on the (flat) roof of our garage. 

is this kit a reasonable list of things I’d need? And can anyone comment on how much I’d save using it? 

https://www.pluginsolar.co.uk/?product=plug-in-solar-3-5kw-3500w-diy-solar-power-kit-with-renusol-console-tubs-for-ground-or-flat-roof

Edited by CotswoldDoItUpper

28 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

It’ll be either ground mounted, or on the (flat) roof of our garage. 

is this kit a reasonable list of things I’d need? And can anyone comment on how much I’d save using it? 

https://www.pluginsolar.co.uk/?product=plug-in-solar-3-5kw-3500w-diy-solar-power-kit-with-renusol-console-tubs-for-ground-or-flat-roof

That's more than you could probably buy the individual parts for, you are paying for them to package up a kit.  It does have micro inverters which is good.  It should do what you want if you want the easier option than hunting around for separate bits.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

That's more than you could probably buy the individual parts for, you are paying for them to package up a kit.  It does have micro inverters which is good.  It should do what you want if you want the easier option than hunting around for separate bits.

would you recommend a particular store? I will def need advice because I can guarantee that I’ll forget something crucial!

5 minutes ago, billt said:

Yes you can move panels. We had a 12kW ground mounted array (46 panels) at our last house. Moved it to our new (to us) house and put them on various roofs.

How old were your modules.

If a few years, for a lot less than the original kWp price you, you may have been able to upgrade to more efficient ones.

Does depend on what they buyer of your house thinks about them.

I would think at the moment, and till about May, PV could be charged out at a premium.

Come June, we will have all forgotten about today's increases in electricity prices.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

How old were your modules.

If a few years, for a lot less than the original kWp price you, you may have been able to upgrade to more efficient ones.

Does depend on what they buyer of your house thinks about them.

They were bought in 2013, so 6 years old when they were moved. I tested them before the reinstall and there was no noticeable degradation.

Yes, newer panels are slightly more efficient, but I already had the panels, so no point in spending lots of money on new ones.

The installations were off grid, not MCS regstered, no FITs, so it's unlikely that any purchaser would want to take over the system, especially as it was highly visible on a bank.